• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mail/calendar options for small business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If you're getting it on incoming email, then surely that's down to the sender?
    I wonder the same, I have never seen this except when the sender is sending from a different account.

Gmail shows you extra information about the sender/header than many email clients so it might even be that. Have you dropped an email to Google support or asked on the online forums?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've only skimmed this but I think I get it.

Google Groups don't work in the same way they did on Exchange/Outlook.

In Outlook a group is just a name for a list of people and when you email that name the email gets sent to everyone on that list. ie Rainbow={Rod,Jayne,Freddy}

In google world a Group is a real tangible thing with attributes and behaviours. For example a google group has it's own webpage where every email can be read like... well just like this discussion forum on contractoruk.com.

You might be a member of a google group and you might have chosen to receive all emails that get sent to that group. But surely its helpful to know that the incoming mail came to a group and was forwarded to you, rather than was sent to you directly? So a 2 minute chat with your customer about this behaviour might work.

Whilst sending on behalf of a google group you can set the behaviour to 'send as' the group as you'd expect.

Sorry if I've answered (badly) a question you weren't asking.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I wonder the same, I have never seen this except when the sender is sending from a different account.

Gmail shows you extra information about the sender/header than many email clients so it might even be that. Have you dropped an email to Google support or asked on the online forums?
        It's not the sender doing it, but gmail. I guess as it gets forwarded. But I think the next post from GoodPrognosis may be onto something ...

Comment

Originally posted by GoodPrognosis View Post
          I've only skimmed this but I think I get it.

Google Groups don't work in the same way they did on Exchange/Outlook.
          You may be onto something here. I think i may well have used a group (google has locked me out for now, so just trying to resolve this). Once I get back in I'll have a play and see if I can do this without using a group, or change the group options.

Ta!

Comment

Yes I don't think you need to be using a Google Group for what you want. I think they let you set up forward-only emails or something but again... ask on the Google support site, it's pretty active.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Yes I don't think you need to be using a Google Group for what you want. I think they let you set up forward-only emails or something but again... ask on the Google support site, it's pretty active.
              Okay, had a play and it's definitely google groups doing this. I removed the group and setup a nickname on a user and this works fine - no mangling of the from address.

So next problem is trying to work out how to do this across multiple users - you can't have the same nickname on multiple users. I'll head over to the google forum to see if there's a way to do this.

Thanks again.

Comment

I gave up on Google Apps due to the crap dealing with their mail. Had to set up the rules I usually do in minutes on other systems. Plus they blocked a sales person out who emailed out 50 or so 1MB PDFs for 24 hours as it was deemed as "potential spam" and there was no way, even as the account admin, that I could get her back in. Absolute crap.

I would go for a little Plesk set up, handles incoming and outgoing mail. Set up all three email accounts. Set up a group email for mail@ and forward it on to all users. So they can all send from the mail@ address just add a new account to the two Outlook machines with the different sender address, if it really needs an incoming account then just set up a fake one. If the mobile user then sets up a GMail account to collect their normal mail then they can also set up an option to send from another address. Much easier than messing with Google docs.

You can also use the free calendar service to share calendars. Is a bit fiddly but have sorted it out before, think you just have to make sure each email address has an associated Google account and then flag then invite the other users to share the calendar and make them admins. As admins they can pull each others calendars into Outlook and edit in there as well as view.

Avoid Google Apps if you want to keep things simple and flexible IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  I would go for a little Plesk set up

Never heard of Plesk - a quick search shows it's a control panel for web hosts. So I guess I just need to sign up with a web host which offers Plesk? Will have a look, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X