• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

iPad replacement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad replacement

Here's the deal. I currently have a nice shiny Dell XPS laptop for work/home use, plus an ageing Dell desktop machine. My wife has an iPad for general browsing, Facebook and such like.

I'm wanting to get rid of the desktop to free up space, and a mate has offered me a couple of hundred quid for it so that's the easy bit. Problem is at various points I need to take my laptop away from home when working away, and the missus needs to be able to scan and email her timesheets to her employment agency. Obviously the iPad is no good here as the scanner requires USB connection (and even if it were WiFi compatible, I'm not aware the iPad is capable of working with a scanner).

So... missus is happy to ditch the iPad as she doesn't use it much and we can probably get at least £200 for that as it's only a few months old. She quite fancies a laptop but doesn't need it for much other than basic browsing, bit of Facebook and the aforementioned scanning/email duties. Are netbooks still worth considering or have they been superseded by tablets and "ultrabooks"? I've no desire to spend £££'s on a compact high-performance laptop as there just isn't any point, but are laptops in the £300-£500 range worth having? If so does anyone know of specific makes/models to consider? (Pref on the smaller side - 11" to 14" screen).

Or are we mad and better off keeping the desktop and iPad combo? My only desire to get shot of the desktop is that we barely use it and it would free up a bit of space in my office

Thoughts/ideas?
    Last edited by Willapp; 25 July 2012, 13:59. Reason: Typo/clarity

Does an Asus Transformer not fit the bill?

Comment

Can't you use the camera on the iPad/tablet to get good enough 'scans' without using a proper scanner?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Can you not just create an electronic time sheet? There's tonnes of apps for this kind of stuff, or FreeAgent.

Comment

Genius Scan.

App Store - Genius Scan - PDF Scanner

£1.99 for a registered version (integrates to drop box etc)
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have used a scanner and printer via a wireless link on the iPad. I have it set up at home although sometimes it vanishes from the network but I have more trouble using my wife's laptop with it than the iPad. It works from the iPhone too.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
            X