• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Laptop - XPS 17?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Laptop - XPS 17?

Ok so I am shopping around for a new laptop, and I am undecided what to buy, would love your suggestions/experiences.

I have always owned a DELL, and would be happy to buy another one, never was let down. What I am looking for is a good i7 laptop with good screen resolution mainly used for development (VS/SQL Server/Photoshop etc)

My preference would be the XPS 17 3D, although I know its very bulky but for me its more of a desktop replacement, will not be carrying around that much.

However its not available from the Dell website here in Belgium

So I was going for the XPS 17 but its has a lower screen resolution. Anyone has any experience with this machine? Or maybe some better suggestions?

Cheers

I have never really seen the point of 17" Laptops, if you know you are never going to carry it around why not just get a desktop, which for the same spec will be a lot less money and a carry round tablet etc
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I have never really seen the point of 17" Laptops, if you know you are never going to carry it around why not just get a desktop, which for the same spec will be a lot less money and a carry round tablet etc
      By not carrying around, I do not mean never ever, but I will not carry it with me everyday, occasionally yes.

The problem is I already own an "old" Dual Core XPS 15, which I am very happy with, but to do development, is not very ideal, too small. I can buy an external 21" monitor, but I would prefer a 17" laptop.

Comment

Maybe take a look at this one: Dell Inspiron 17R SE 17in Ivy Bridge notebook review ? Reg Hardware
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Yes that is another option, I really want the Full HD screen. But as I am seeing did not get very good reviews. I do not like the design too much either, but that is not as important as the specs.

Comment

Looks like the Inspiron doesn't have SSD drive option which I'd be looking for in a dev machine.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Looks like the Inspiron doesn't have SSD drive option which I'd be looking for in a dev machine.
              True and online I cannot configure a QWERTY keyboard, and English documentation, which for me is essential.

Will just wait for the XPS 3D to hopefully come in stock again.

Funnily enough I cannot order a laptop from dell uk!

Comment

A few years back I bought a Dell XPS M1730, great bit of kit for a luggable, fast, good screen, mirrored drives for security, although as I implied a tad heavy for regularly carrying around with you.

I also bought a Dell XPS M1330 for portability, but that went with the scum who burlged my gaff a month ago. Now that was a nice portable, fast piece of kit

Sure hoping that the insurance bar stewards are reasonable as I quite fancy a new Dell XPS 14Z Here's hoping.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Just a quick update, I think I am going for the Inspiron 17R SE at the end. The only thing I do not like is it has no SSD drive (never had one) but other than that has all the specs I am looking for.

Hopefully will get Dell BE to send me one with a QWERTY keyboard.

Comment

I needed to get a laptop which allows me to develop on it and in particular none of this widescreen 1366 rubbish as I find it too difficult to work on, you're forever scrolling up and down! I do have a rather good ASUS which is brilliant for multimedia (its even 3D) but not really ideal for work wise plus I find getting it out at clientco doesn't look too professional. I've had Lenovo's (actually Thinkpads) in the past and really like them but until recently they haven't had anything I wanted. This weekend though I found one and ordered it, the latest W530 with 15.6" full HD screen, 32gb RAM and a 750gb 7200 drive and the UMTS module built in. Hopefully this will be the ideal work machine...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X