• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting around a locked down PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abolute no chance own laptop would be allowed.

Comment

Change client.

Probably the cheapest and least stressful method, especially if the current one is a complete dick

Why can't you take your own laptop in? you won't be plugging it into their network. How about an iPad or other tablet with a keyboard dock and an independent internet connection?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Client are dicks but are big dicks who have hired me a few times.

On the laptop they would pull the 'that has not been certified by out electricians and would invalidate our insurance' pish which I have seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

On the laptop they would pull the 'that has not been certified by out electricians and would invalidate our insurance' pish which I have seen before.
          iPad? Or ultra book / air with 7+ hours battery?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

What are you trying to do that they refuse to allow you to have permissions/software you need to do the work you are contacted to do?

You need to get client management on your side and explain why you cannot deliver without the resources you need.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

eh, work that I am not contracted to do.

Sometimes have downtime and would rather mess about with 'other projects'

Code freezes are client co's idea.

Comment

I am looking for a way to be able to view and edit a personal files in work. Problem is that client co have nailed down all ways I can think of to do this.

Admin rights have been removed, USB slots have been switched off for data (although they still power my phone), firewall and web proxy are brutally tight, mailing is out and as one manager told me "they are big brothering your contractor arses just now" after some idiot got caught uploading private data to their own server.

Ideally a removable drive solution is perfect as I don't want to leave the files on the PC disk but the USBs are off and I am not sure how to get round that.

Any ideas?

Cheers
                Why not stick a Windows VM on it?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

As others have said, you're on thin ice trying this I reckon.

That aside, if you have your own webspace, why not upload/download to that. It's unlikely that soupy.com is gonna be blocked.

Comment

You tried Dropbox or any of the other cloud storage? Install the client on your machine and just let it sync back to your home machine.

If you are circumventing their system might as well go whole hog
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Laptop's usually come with a battery, ditto for tablets and you could remote from the tablet to your home system.

I think you need to decide how far its worth pushing the client... you could always read a book/kindle instead and make notes for later use.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X