• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any sub-£500 laptop better than Samsung NP300E5A-S01UK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any sub-£500 laptop better than Samsung NP300E5A-S01UK?

In your considered opinions?

Ta

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    In your considered opinions?

Ta
    Your chosen lappy seems a pretty decent spec to me. This Acer is the model I presently use. It comes with a slightly larger hard drive than yours (640 vs 500 GB), with the same 6GB RAM and a 2.4GHz Core i3 processor vs your lappy's more impressive 2.5GHz i5. I've swapped the hard drive on mine out for a 250GB SSD, which is quieter and quicker for most development tasks. All things being equal, I think I'd buy your spec if I was choosing now, and do the same swap out for the hard drive, since space isn't as much of an issue as speed for me.

In summary: good choice you.
    Last edited by Gentile; 27 June 2012, 21:47.

Comment

I saw this one today and thought it was an impressive spec

Buy HP Pavilion G6-2082SA Laptop, Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB, 15.6'' Display, Black online at JohnLewis.com

Comment

I got my laptop from the dell outlet.

Dell Factory Outlet: Error

That one has an i7quad core processor. They come with a 12 month warranty.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          screen res is a bit tulip
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thanks all. Will go with the Samsung as I have a couple of their products already and am impressed with their design and quality. £479 from pixmania. I'm a simple soul - no coding, just office work and browsing.

Cheers

OG

Comment

Got a samsung RV511 about a year ago - been very happy with it, and fine for coding, running sql server as well as browsing CUK and playing scrabble on facebook.

Comment

Thanks all. Will go with the Samsung as I have a couple of their products already and am impressed with their design and quality. £479 from pixmania. I'm a simple soul - no coding, just office work and browsing.

Cheers

OG
                Pixmania, really? Found them to be expensive in the past and they tend to spam your inbox daily. Sure you can't find it cheaper elsewhere?

Comment

Cheers

OG
                  don't forget to have a look at PIXmania Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco as they have some cash back for pixmania

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                    I got my laptop from the dell outlet.

Dell Factory Outlet: Error

That one has an i7quad core processor. They come with a 12 month warranty.
                    I bought an XPS15 for £500 a couple of months ago, and that's a quad core i7, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD. And I've since spent another £100 on an SSD.

I was dreading the shiny screen, but to be honest now I've had it a while I don't mind at all.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X