• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Connecting to a VPN, choosing which network is used for web traffic?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to a VPN, choosing which network is used for web traffic?

I'm testing a potential client's VPN for remote working - I'm not a networking expert but believe connecting to the VPN through my home internet connection means my PC is then able to access the web both through my ISP and indirectly through the client's ISP via their VPN.

Is it likely/possible the software on my PC would for some reason decide to use their network rather than my local broadband connection? And can I easily check/prevent this happening... it would be unprofessional to even accidentally do that especially since I do work for other clients.

Thanks for any guidance/advise.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I use a virtual machine and run the VPN and remote desktop client in that.

Anything I run outside of the VM should be using the normal internet connection.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Are you using YOUR machine on THEIR VPN? If so I would where ever possible avoid this, there are all sorts of quarantine processes that some VPN's enforce that can effect the settings of your own machine which can be a hassle, as mentioned if you can use a VM I would do that
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Interesting thoughts, I shall look into that - I don't have any VM software other than XPMode, running W7 Ultimate should I be able to without 3rd-party tools?

If I was doing this for real I might use an old spare workstation as a thin client but my original question stands, if I am running the VPN+RDP software from my main desktop do I need to worry where my internet traffic is going?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I use VM Ware Player which is free
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

VirtualBox is also free.

On the Windows VPN client there is (or at least used to be) an option for "use default gateway on remote network", or something like that. It was on by default, which meant all internet traffic went via the VPN. Turning it off does what you want.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              On the Windows VPN client there is (or at least used to be) an option for "use default gateway on remote network", or something like that. It was on by default, which meant all internet traffic went via the VPN. Turning it off does what you want.
              That's the answer you want.

GE

Comment

Working...
              X