• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Technet v Action Pack

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Technet v Action Pack

Gonna bite the bullet and go legit for my MS software, running more and more VM's, and will give me the bonus of Project and Visio which as much as I hate them they are must have's theses day's.

Price wise a Technet Professional and a MAPS (non dev and design) subscription are the same (£240 v £260), but renewals for Technet are cheaper, does anyone have a preference as to one over the other? From what I can see you get more from the Technet subscription but for less, how does that work?!

Also are the licences from either product tied to the subscription, ie if you don't renew after 12 months the licences will expire?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I have the Action Pack which gives me a Technet subscription as well. You don't get the developer tools, but just about everything else.

HTH
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
      I have the Action Pack which gives me a Technet subscription as well. You don't get the developer tools, but just about everything else.

HTH
      What does the MAPS give you onto of the Technet then?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The partner pack software is for internal use to help you develop your business. The Technet pack is supposed to be for demos etc.

The actual software packs are similar although the Technet pack has some legacy software (DOS etc)
        SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

technet has the more comprehensive back catalog , if that floats your boat(Professional upwards)

Its six of one and half a dozen of the other, for new / current releases though.

Comment

Do either of them have perpetual licenses (like proper MSDN - and the old Empower programme)

Or do you have to renew your subscription every year.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Do either of them have perpetual licenses (like proper MSDN - and the old Empower programme)

Or do you have to renew your subscription every year.
              In theory you do have to renew your subs to keep the software legal but I've never had any MAPS software expire on me and I've had a subscription for years.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Yes you are legally not licensed if you stop renewing but the keys work fine. That's not really any different from just downloading a pirate copy but it does feel less dodgy.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Microsoft tightening up on Technet use

El Reg: Microsoft tightens squeeze on TechNet parasites

Among other changes, Microsoft is restricting use of all software available to the 12-month period of a TechNet subscription. All the changes are due to come into effect "in the coming weeks"

Microsoft said here it's changing the rules of TechNet in order to: "[b]etter reflect the intent of the program – aiding IT professionals in evaluating current Microsoft software and to help protect the integrity of the subscription from unsupported use."

Translation: cut down on abuse by those who install the software on PCs or servers for work purposes or play time, or who let others borrow their subscription. The rules of TechNet are clear: you can only use software for testing and evaluating with accounts only being used by the named subscriber.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X