• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meaning of "Tower based Service Delivery"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meaning of "Tower based Service Delivery"

Seen a lot of jobs spouting this term and i simply have no idea what it means. I can guess, but simply don't know.

Usually i can find out, as we all do, through using the net but have drawn a blank on this one.

Any idea folks? It's usually in the context of Project Manager jobs where you are defining and helping the client move to this state.

Is it simply referring to implementing a 1st/2nd/3rd line support infrastructure.

Apologies for my stupidity but this is really annoying me

Not knowing the answer myself, I had a little google for you.

It seems, mostly, that it's a bit of public sector bollocks-speak for allocating outsourcing projects based on the service they deliver rather than a ginormo contract to one supplier.

Not sure why they'd call it a tower when it's definitely a silo.

MoJ's £300m IT contract to aid 'service tower' transition
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 19 May 2012, 05:37.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Not knowing the answer myself, I had a little google for you.

It seems, mostly, that it's a bit of public sector bollocks-speak for allocating outsourcing projects based on the service they deliver rather than a ginormo contract to one supplier.

Not sure why they'd call it a tower when it's definitely a silo.

MoJ's £300m IT contract to aid 'service tower' transition
      Thanks - couldn't find anything myself. I agree withthe bollocks-speak assessment. Especially when it's so hard to find any info through search engines.

Although your guess at the meaning of this makes sense I'm having difficulty relating this explanation to jobs I've been looking at. Take this as an example, a cutting from a typical job ad :-

"
      A Project Manager is required to manage the initiation and delivery of a project to introduce tower based service delivery, effect the business change within the Service Delivery function, transition the legacy estate into the new service delivery model and provision a new technical platform in support of application delivery projects.
      "

Oh hang on, perhaps I'm wrong and it does relate. What they're saying is that they require a PM to effectively manage a group of suppliers in order to deliver the project. I.e. each tower is a different supplier, rather than approaching ONE supplier who can encompass all of these required service delivery elements (although they will probably have to outsource in order to satisfy the project requirements).

In other words you effectively take the management of the project in house by emplying a PM, rather than sitting back and letting a (typically) large company manage all aspects/suppliers themselves and report back to you.

I hate bollucks speak, that's partly why my projects have all done well

Comment

Advantec - The Advantec Advantage

Another definition here. It's shared services with dedicated teams, so therefore not share service!

I believe the likes of Fujitsu are moving away from this (or to it, I cant remember!)
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
          Advantec - The Advantec Advantage

Another definition here. It's shared services with dedicated teams, so therefore not share service!

I believe the likes of Fujitsu are moving away from this (or to it, I cant remember!)
          Thanks.

Ok, so, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We're talking about building teams of people to facilitate project delivery? Well surprise surprise that's always got to happen hasn't it?

Maybe not that simple though..argh..

If I refer again to the sample from a job example that i gave - pretty much all the ones i've seen (re tower based service delivery) seem to have this same babble in their job description.

You think this may be in the context of, say, a company that can see a lot of projects in the future and therefore requires a project team building? The differing "towers" being, say, implementation engineers; software developers; IT architects; network designers etcetc?

Damn, i thought i was a good communicator

Comment

interesting!

seems that we are moving to this model

It seems to be that rather than having a shared service across the whole of a business you segment your businesses into logical chunks and have shared services across those chunks.

Also remove the centralised Technical PM's and have Business specific PM's

Where have you seen these jobs OP?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              interesting!

seems that we are moving to this model

It seems to be that rather than having a shared service across the whole of a business you segment your businesses into logical chunks and have shared services across those chunks.

Also remove the centralised Technical PM's and have Business specific PM's

Where have you seen these jobs OP?

Hiya.

Well i frequently look on jobserve.co.uk but if you simply google "tower based service delivery" you'll see lots of jobs from numerous sites.

Do you have experience in IT? I'm trying to figure out how this relates to an IT specific scenario.

If i try to interpret what you have said, it's almost like you'd have a separate, say, IT help desk for your finance department and HR department.

But what would be the advantage of decentralising such a function? The jobs i look for are IT specific you see and, as you can tell, I'm having trouble seeing how this description could relate to the scenarios I have encountered.

What i don't get is...............well i just don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by M00ny View Post
                If i try to interpret what you have said, it's almost like you'd have a separate, say, IT help desk for your finance department and HR department.
                I too am puzzled by the term, but I came across it many years ago in a networking product. Here's an extract from the documentation:

Protocol Stacks (Towers)

Applications can communicate with each other only if they agree on the protocols they both will use and the operational parameters of these protocols. Also, exact address information is needed to indicate to each layer of protocol where to deliver data. This required information is encoded in a protocol stack or protocol tower, which is a data structure for encoding address and protocol information about a service user (application). The tower is a protocol sequence (an ordered list of protocol identifiers for each layer from the Network layer upward) with associated address and protocol-specific information.
                I wonder if that is where they got the term...
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  I too am puzzled by the term, but I came across it many years ago in a networking product. Here's an extract from the documentation:

I wonder if that is where they got the term...
                  Thanks but no that's not it. What you're referring to there is the protocol stack and the way in which communication is handled through the different TCP/IP layers - data, application, addressing layers and so on.
                  This has been in place for many years and is the foundation of TCP/IP communication.

Far too easy to explain this one as it actually means something.

What we're dealing with here is (new) high level bullsh1t speak. We need a bullsh1t expert. Any out there? Come on, it's your time to shine

Comment

Google ITIL and SIAM
                    World's Best Martini

Comment

Working...
                    X