• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Video/audio monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video/audio monitor

What's the best, reasonably cheap way of getting audio and video down five flights of stairs from the stage to the dressing rooms?

Webcam? Cheap video camera? But most importantly - what kind of cable can do that distance, say 100m?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Cat5 cable would be fine, you could try the homeplug things that transmit over the power line (assuming they are on the same fusebox...).

You can get webcams with built in mics v cheap, however, I dont know of the software you would use. What is for? Calling people to stage etc?

You could create 2 duff MSN accounts etc, or skype, and leave them running.
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

quick glance at cable kit came up with this (if you do DIY and have a router with a spare socket)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100M-CAT5e-RJ45-Internet-Network-Modem-Cable-Tester-Crimping-Tool-Boot-End-Plugs-/280801671975?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&h ash=item4161157b27#ht_1863wt_1317

Or homeplugs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100M-CAT5e-RJ45-Internet-Network-Modem-Cable-Tester-Crimping-Tool-Boot-End-Plugs-/280801671975?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&h ash=item4161157b27#ht_1863wt_1317

Shop around though... Can you really be arsed running a cable 100m?
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

What are you trying to achieve? Do you already have audio and/or video signals you can use?

Have you considered walkie-talkies and a runner?
        Last edited by doodab; 6 May 2012, 21:38.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It's so people in the dressing room can see what's going on a stage. At the moment we use runners and walkie-talkies. The IP over power would need testing, as the theatre is quite old and quirky - I've got some spare plugs, so I can give it a go.

There's no chance of doing anything over the internet.

A couple of PCs networked together sounds a possibility. The thing is, I want cheap cable with a long run!
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            It's so people in the dressing room can see what's going on a stage. At the moment we use runners and walkie-talkies. The IP over power would need testing, as the theatre is quite old and quirky - I've got some spare plugs, so I can give it a go.

There's no chance of doing anything over the internet.

A couple of PCs networked together sounds a possibility. The thing is, I want cheap cable with a long run!
            You should be able to cover the distance with cat5, especially if you can put a switch in the middle somewhere. I've used MS Expression Encoder for streaming video between PCs before. I was streaming a file, I don't know if it will work with a live feed from a camera though I expect it will.

There are also various contraptions for sending regular AV signals (composite etc) over CAT5 cables. You can also transmit HDMI a few hundred meters over standard fibre optic cables.

MuxLab VideoEase - Stereo Audio-Video Balun

MuxLab VideoEase - HDMI Econo Extender Kit
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
            X