• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud Storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Another thought. I've got 100 GB with my hosting ISP, of which I'm only using 350 MB at the moment. It's not the cheapest hosting available, but it's not a great deal and has been pretty reliable for the last few years.

I need to read my T&Cs again, but I could in theory at least shove a load up there.
    However do you get any backup package from your ISP? In my experience, buying a backup plan costs more than the hosting, so all you'd really be achieving is a 2nd place to store a copy. Useful, but even if you don't trust a cloud provider's backup, they do have them.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      However do you get any backup package from your ISP? In my experience, buying a backup plan costs more than the hosting, so all you'd really be achieving is a 2nd place to store a copy. Useful, but even if you don't trust a cloud provider's backup, they do have them.
      Just another place to stash copies really. When I started with this ISP they had a backup request button somewhere in the control panel and offered to do restores on a chargeable basis. I assumed that service wouldn't be cheap so made sure I took copious backups of my web stuff onto my own systems. They no longer offer that service, at least not with the package I have.

In the event of a disaster they do promise to do their best at restoring data. They have redundant kit in the data centre and have an alternate site to fall back to if the whole data centre gets hit etc, so obviously take the subject seriously (and that was one of the reasons I chose them).

Obviously large customers will get priority if anything goes tits up, and they do have some very large customers.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
      X