• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Synology with Virgin Media Super Hub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synology with Virgin Media Super Hub

Champs,
    Has any one configured Synology NAS with Virgin Media Super Hub?

I am struggling to setup so that I can access my NAS from Internet. Other forums are not helping with clarity and I am not good in networks. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Originally posted by ahpublicbox View Post
    Champs,
    Has any one configured Synology NAS with Virgin Media Super Hub?

I am struggling to setup so that I can access my NAS from Internet. Other forums are not helping with clarity and I am not good in networks. Any guidance will be appreciated.
    Have you tried turning the router firewall off completely for 5mins to test if you can access it then? if you can, then you know its the firewall in the router and you need to configure a service / rule to allow the traffic through...

If you cant access it, then it's likely to be a setting in the NAS.

(Sorry if I'm teaching how to suck eggs!)
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Make sure you have port 5000 open to the web.
      World's Best Martini

Comment

I have already tried all options including disabling firewall and opening up ports and mapping them to NAS.

Some of the forums were mentioning that I need to convert my router as modem into bridge mode and land my WAN connection on NAS. This means I may need another WIFI router for sharing internet.

I have got couple of spare routers but I do not want to make it too complex and add more cables plus more electricity usage (not for saving cash but to save planet).

Wondering if there is any other option or atleast a tested option which will work. I have already spent lot of time to make it work but no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ahpublicbox View Post
          (not for saving cash but to save planet).
          Are you sure you're cut out for contracting? /NLUK

Seriously, I set up my synology through my Draytek router and it just worked. If it's not working for you then it may be Virgin blocking ports or some other schoolboy error. If the former, then there's not much you can do about it. Don't blame the Synology, they are great bits of kit. I regularly manage mine while on the train. You need to set up NAT from your internet facing IP to the IP of the Synology, at port 5000. I am not familiar with the router you are using, so I can't provide a step by step guide, but I'm sure Google can. Good luck
          Last edited by v8gaz; 13 April 2012, 15:39.
          World's Best Martini

Comment

One of my colleagues has a Synology NAS on his Virgin broadband that he accesses remotely. So it's definitely possible.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can you tell us what you have set up so far, what ports you have open, an what you are typing to try and access the NAS? We may be able to spot the deliberate error.
              World's Best Martini

Comment

You aren't trying to access it from your home system are you?

That won't work. You'll have to try from outside your home. If you have an account on a remote system you can try accessing your home system from that of course.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Are you using port forwarding as described here

How do I enable port forwarding and port triggering on the Virgin Media Super Hub?

Comment

It definitely works as I access my Synology cube station via a Virgin media superhub. Not sure what is so super about them though

I have TCP port 5000 forwarded to the NAS and access via http://myhomeconnection.mydomain:5000/

Ian

Comment

Working...
                    X