• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grout type material to plug gaps in ramshackle old brick wall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grout type material to plug gaps in ramshackle old brick wall

To keep out rats, and tidy the place generally, I would like to fill in the holes and gaps in a rock/brick wall and smooth the whole thing off with some hard-wearing long lasting, and preferably water-proof, grout type material.

It isn't really visible (being in a basement area), nor very large. So the colour scheme is not in the least important nor, within reason, the cost.

So I'd be happy to buy ready made pots of the stuff rather than the hassle and mess of having to mix it with water (*).

Any recommendations?

P.S. although I've no objections to powder that one mixes water with, if that gives the best and most durable results.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Gripfill

from screwfix, in tubes you just need a skeleton gun you can buy it by the box

Gripfill Grab Adhesive 350ml Pack of 12 | Screwfix.com

Comment

then just if required,instead of plaster over with Wickes ready mix plaster, availble in tubs no mixing required

Wickes - Search

Comment

What about expanding foam, easy to apply and expands to fill hard to get at spots.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
          What about expanding foam, easy to apply and expands to fill hard to get at spots.
          But can be messy and uncontrollable when it expands!
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            That would do the trick and could be rendered over the top.

How big are the gaps/holes ? Could you just not get some ready mix mortar and re-point the wall ?

Comment

Many thanks for the replies so far.

Gripfix sounds good material-wise; but I'd need far more than a few tubes, say several of large 10 litre tubs

The ready-mixed plaster tubs look more like it in volume terms; but there the snag might be it would be too soft and crumbly.

I need something that sets almost like glue, so rats can't easily burrow through it, and stays put for a good 20 years or more in all weathers!

I'm sure one used to be able to buy large boxes of powder that set like a sort of plasticky concrete once mixed with water. Maybe I'm thinking of polyfiller and answering my own question

P.S. How hard is the expanding foam once it has set?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Many thanks for the replies so far.

Gripfix sounds good material-wise; but I'd need far more than a few tubes, say several of large 10 litre tubs

The ready-mixed plaster tubs look more like it in volume terms; but there the snag might be it would be too soft and crumbly.

I need something that sets almost like glue, so rats can't easily burrow through it, and stays put for a good 20 years or more in all weathers!

I'm sure one used to be able to buy large boxes of powder that set like a sort of plasticky concrete once mixed with water. Maybe I'm thinking of polyfiller and answering my own question

P.S. How hard is the expanding foam once it has set?
                The foam goes hard but not rock hard, but that could fill the hard to reach gaps then you could trowel over the top with a bag of render.

Comment

You might also want to consider getting some chicken wire or similar in there to provide a scaffold for the filler.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

try the low expansion & the professional gun.
                    Spray area with water first.
                    Experiment to gauge expansion.
                    Once expanded and dry (24 hours assuming reasonable temp) snap dry excess off.

Toolstation > Adhesives & Sealants > Expanding Foam

PVA glue diluted over the surface to allow sealing / grip.

Screwfix / Wickes for patching plaster (has strips of plastic in it to ease grip) surface will be rough, don't try to smooth, needs top coat.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X