• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technology stack for a high freq low lat trading system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that's a serious reply, how does that work exactly?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If that's a serious reply, how does that work exactly?
      It is a serious reply.

We have a library of factories that manage pre-allocated objects. When these objects are no longer required they are handed back to the factory where they are "cleaned" for reuse.

It's a little more complicated than that but you get the general idea.

Comment

Ah, I've seen similar things even in C... 'steal' all the memory at startup so you don't need to alloc/dellaoc it.

Thanks.

Comment

Ah, I've seen similar things even in C... 'steal' all the memory at startup so you don't need to alloc/dellaoc it.

Thanks.
          Think "Singleton" pattern for your factories.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            It is a serious reply.

We have a library of factories that manage pre-allocated objects. When these objects are no longer required they are handed back to the factory where they are "cleaned" for reuse.

It's a little more complicated than that but you get the general idea.
            In other words, you're doing your own memory management because the built in system is deficient. May as well have just done it in C++ in the first place ;-).
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

[De]Allocing memory all over the shop is bad in C/C++ too, hence C++ apps sometimes do similar things... when you're running this kind of thing you can't even trust the OS to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                In other words, you're doing your own memory management because the built in system is deficient. May as well have just done it in C++ in the first place ;-).
                Not when your customer wants it in Java.

Btw, I have developers who do that kind of thing for me now.

Comment

[De]Allocing memory all over the shop is bad in C/C++ too, hence C++ apps sometimes do similar things... when you're running this kind of thing you can't even trust the OS to do it right.
                  Never, ever trust the operating system.

Comment

[De]Allocing memory all over the shop is bad in C/C++ too
                    Yes it causes memory fragmentation, gave me too much headache in a previous job.

Comment

The OS generally doesn't do much more than allow you to ensure a range of addresses is actually backed by something e.g. brk, VirtualAlloc etc, although Windows does offer heaps.

What most programmers think of as memory management is done by the runtime and will be implemented in different ways by different dev tools and libraries. On solaris for example malloc() can resolve to one of several different implementations at runtime, and the implementation is likely different in different versions of visual studio as well.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X