• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C# course

Anyone done a C# course recently, and got any recommendations on providers.

LearningTree etc?

Missed an opportunity at clientco to do some C# due to BAU production work taking precedence.

Looking to ramp up on C# and .NET, so I fell some level of confidence in my C# skills.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Save your money; the work is going to the Indian imports.

Train in BA.
    one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      Anyone done a C# course recently, and got any recommendations on providers.

LearningTree etc?

Missed an opportunity at clientco to do some C# due to BAU production work taking precedence.

Looking to ramp up on C# and .NET, so I fell some level of confidence in my C# skills.
      Better to buy a book then write a large application. Learning C# is good.

Comment

I'd recommend getting a book to start off with and giving that a read as it'll give you a good idea on the foundations of C#.NET.

You've then got fun things like WPF, WCF, SQL, Entity Framework () etc

GE

Comment

VB.NET is where its at! C# developers are ten a penny.

Comment

$29 will get you a month of Pluralsight online courses in most .Net related topics.

TekPub is another popular provider but never used them myself.

You might not get an in-person trainer, but I've always found courses I've went on generally lacking due to the trainer being rubbish, or because lots of the students have lots of their own questions. I'll never forget a Tivoli course I did about 10 years ago near Heathrow, the monotone instructor basically reading out the course notes and nothing else. Couldn't even answer basic questions.

If you want a really good immersive experience, Developmentor might work, these are more expensive than places like LT and QA, but you get multiple instructors, stay onsite, longer working days (if that floats your boat)
            Last edited by jmo21; 29 March 2012, 13:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              VB.NET is where its at! C# developers are ten a penny.
              VB.NET is just horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
                VB.NET is just horrible.
                You reckon? Depends what your background is I suppose, I have to work in both but just find VB to be so much more readable at a glance than C# with its curly brace garbage all over the shop. Same with Java, I find that a 'messy' language to read.

To the OP, seriously, dont bother with formal training, just get a couple of books and set yourself an actual app to write. Choose say, a Twitter client. Sit down and write one referring to your books or Google when you get stuck. It wont take you long to write and at the end you'll have learnt 1000% more than any class could teach you. Then go over your code now you understand it better and re-code it to make it better, then repeat and repeat.

Comment

A class which is built around project work could be OK though, you basically just want someone to review what you've done and point out any horrible things so you don't learn them as a habit.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                    You reckon? Depends what your background is I suppose, I have to work in both but just find VB to be so much more readable at a glance than C# with its curly brace garbage all over the shop. Same with Java, I find that a 'messy' language to read.
                    I feel the opposite way around, VB/VB.NET is "blocky" and C# flows alot better and is easier to read IMHO.

GE

Comment

Working...
                    X