• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outlook and SMTP servers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlook and SMTP servers

Hi all,

Just hoping someone can help me with an Outlook issue.

Having probs sending e-mails on various hotels/inns networks as most ISP's block SMTP traffic not being sent through their own servers.

Does anyone know an easy way to obtain the ISP's SMTP server details when there is no access to that level of information from staff/support?

Try the obvious ones first (i.e. smtp.domain.com etc, port 25).
    Alternatively change your ISP. I have no problems with Blueyonder (Telewest) or GMail, or with my mail server host (Easily) which will all let me send mail from another ISP. The only ones I've had problems with are the old dial-up ISPs I still have email accounts with for historical reasons.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by EyeTee
      Having probs sending e-mails on various hotels/inns networks as most ISP's block SMTP traffic not being sent through their own servers.
      The SMTP access is blocked to prevent spam by ensuring you verify who you say you are otherwise it could be very easy for anyone to use their service. There is no way around this unless you use an ISP that allows SMTP from anywhere - these would generally be those that charge a fee as spammers generally don't pay for anything and it makes them more traceable. These ISP's normally have a proper registration process not such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail where it seems that anyone can get access- and where most of the junk/spammers mail comes from.

Not sure if Outlook allows this but Mozilla Thunderbird does, my original ISP does not allow SMTP unless I use either their dial up or BB connection which is no good when I'm away from home. When I got BT BB they also gave me email and access to SMTP and as its part of a subscriber package requiring logon details etc they have allowed their SMTP to be accessible from anywhere. So I have configured Thunderbird POP3 to read from my original ISP and to send mail via BT SMTP - you can configure the reply address to be anything so any replies will go to wherever you specify. This has enabled me to keep a business like address and not go through the hassle of changing ISP's etc. You may be able to use someone like Hotmail/Gmail just for the SMTP side - I'm guessing you can get POP3.

I also use Portable Thunderbird which allows me to put the whole application and mailboxes on a portable USB device so most places I know work I can just stick my USB disk in the hole and get all the joys of my private email at work - warnings of new mail etc. It saves all that checking for webmail.

HTH

Comment

To use SMTP to relay mesages (send to another domain) most ISP's / Mail service suppliers require either POP before SMTP or you be be within their trusted IP sets.

It helps cut down those nive friendly spammers. HAving written an email server the greatest effort was sepnt of trying to identify them and then feck 'em up.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Thanks for the replies peeps, all the input is really appreciated.

Was hoping I was just missing a very obvious solution.

Am I wrong in thinking all I need to do is configure my outlook to send via the hotels SMTP server? (as long as it doesn't require authentication that is)
          I understand that it's a spam issue to stop people sitting on someone elses network and just hammering out e-mails all day long, I didn't realise it was anything to do with how my ISP handled it's mail.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeTee
            Am I wrong in thinking all I need to do is configure my outlook to send via the hotels SMTP server? (as long as it doesn't require authentication that is)
            Thats one way or you could use one of the free mail providers such as hotmail just for SMTP so you don't have to keep on changing.

Comment

Muchas gracias, will give that a go!

Typical though innit, the hotel I'm in this week is a complete sh*thole but they have free wireless and no SMTP blocking! Bah!

Comment

Get yourself a Gmail account. it allows you to manage your mail in almost the same way as Outlook. You can formward mail automatically to other accounts, set up automated replies etc and its free.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                  Get yourself a Gmail account. it allows you to manage your mail in almost the same way as Outlook. You can formward mail automatically to other accounts, set up automated replies etc and its free.
                  Hmm and google can read it, index it and cooperate with the authorities too!
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                    Hmm and google can read it, index it and cooperate with the authorities too!
                    And what do you think happens to hotmail accounts?

Do you use an email account provided by your current client? Do they keep backups?

Do you send email via the internet at any point?

ISP's and other "service providers" can be ordered to retain logs of all activity on individual accounts at any time *and* be barred from telling anyone it's happening.

No Email is private. Never put anything in an email you wouldn't put on a postcard. If you're really paranoid you could encrypt the contents and / or send it as an attachement. Remember though that failing to provide the key to the authorities on request is a criminal offence.

Bearing all that in mind Gmail is the most usefull of the "free" web mail services and solves a lot of the problems of managing email from odd locations.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X