• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not seeing 1T external hard drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing 1T external hard drive

My 1T USB3 (western digital) external hard drive stopped being recognised by my laptop a little while ago.
    I have tried downloading several 'fix' softwares, but to no effect.
    If I change the OS to linux then it 'sees' the HD, but still cannot access it.
    I think perhaps the boot sector of the disc has become corrupted?
    Anyone got any other ideas of what else to try before I have to go and take it to some 'expert' and pay through the nose??

Originally posted by chalced View Post
    My 1T USB3 (western digital) external hard drive stopped being recognised by my laptop a little while ago.
    Anyone got any other ideas of what else to try before I have to go and take it to some 'expert' and pay through the nose??
    Stick it in the freezer (in a waterproof bag) overnight, then plug it back into your PC. Leave it on a bag of ice whilst plugged into the PC.

If it powers up, it'll stay alive for possibly just a few minutes and so use that time to grab all the data off it.

I did this with an internal HD, so hopefully it'll work with your external one too - depending on the nature of the failure of course.

Comment

Good suggestion from CM but before that, remove the drive from its enclosure and try it with another USB adapter/enclosure, to eliminate some electrical fault in the enclosure.

But, TBH, sounds like the drive is knackered. Probably more serious than just the boot sector. If just one sector were knackered, you'd be able to see something. And the 'fix' software would definitely have had some success.

So if my suggestion fails, then the freezer it is. And don't buy WD again !

Comment

Are you using windows 7?
        have you tried different USB ports?
        is there anything showing in device manager as unrecognised?
        is there anything different showing in drive manager?
        did you safely remove the drive when disconnecting or just pull the plug out?

The drive maybe formatted in such a way that linux doesn't like, hence why linux can see it but not read it.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

From Linux can you run 'fdisk -l' as root?
          How is the disk recognized, ie /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc?

What's the partition table?

Can you run 'fsck /dev/sd<whatever>[1-2-3]' ?
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I've had the same problem with the same size ext hdd by the same manufacturer. I found a solution:

Chuck the hard drive, it is kaput.

Comment

I had a WD passport external drive that stopped working, the actual drive was fine when put into a new USB housing.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I had a WD passport external drive that stopped working, the actual drive was fine when put into a new USB housing.
                I've got one of those and it stopped working one very hot day last summer. Left it turned off overnight and it came back fine.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X