• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple Laptop - Air vs Book Pro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Laptop - Air vs Book Pro

I am going to buy one of these, Apart from the thinness and weight what's the prod/cons? don't want to spend much more than 1k.

Originally posted by russell View Post
    I am going to buy one of these, Apart from the thinness and weight what's the prod/cons? don't want to spend much more than 1k.
    What kind of activities do you plan to do on it? Main drawback of the Air is lack of a DVD drive and a smaller hard disc... but obviously you make this up in weight and size. But in terms of power, unless you're doing really heavy design work etc, an Air would be sufficient.

My Macbook has about a year or so left in it, I'll be looking to get an Air rather than a pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
      What kind of activities do you plan to do on it? Main drawback of the Air is lack of a DVD drive and a smaller hard disc... but obviously you make this up in weight and size. But in terms of power, unless you're doing really heavy design work etc, an Air would be sufficient.

My Macbook has about a year or so left in it, I'll be looking to get an Air rather than a pro.
      I think in a years time everything will be an air.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Will be used for web/email/office and some development.

I'm not looking to render toy story 4.

Comment

I'm not looking to render toy story 4.
          Gutted.

Get an Air then.

Comment

I don't see an HDMI cable on the Air, how do I connect it to monitors?

Comment

I don't see an HDMI cable on the Air, how do I connect it to monitors?
              It probably has a Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port like the Macbook Pro.

Comment

Main drawback of the Air is lack of a DVD drive and a smaller hard disc... but obviously you make this up in weight and size. But in terms of power, unless you're doing really heavy design work etc, an Air would be sufficient.
                With the trend towards downloading software rather than buying it on CD or DVD, I rarely use my DVD drives any more.

That does presuppose you have a networked system which can read (and write) DVDs though.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  It probably has a Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port like the Macbook Pro.
                  Ah great, will be the air then.

Comment

I got an Air at the airport on my last trip to Aberdeen, the price was £175 cheaper than the shops and they were doing a bundle with a case, the external DVD drive, and MS Office 3 licence pack for £170

Comment

Working...
                    X