• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extending Wifi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending Wifi

Is there a cheap easy way to do this? I have a bit of a lame wifi network as it is, and when i move to a bigger house, will need to extend across 3 floors. Currently for streaming media i use those power plug things which use the electric cables. but they are RJ45, and every one I've seen, the app doesnt work with Macs so I cant encrypt the network etc.

I have old routers lying around, is it possible to bridge (or whatever you call it) and extend it that way? If so, how?

Boring Sunday morning means I'm finding time to sort the bits I've wanted too...
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Use a proper computer to set the encryption, and then even a Mac will be able to work.

If you've got a pair of WiFi routers it should be as easy as connecting them together with an ethernet cable (or via your powerline connectors), and then turn off DHCP on one of them.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Drop what you currently planning as extending none identical routers is a nightmare.

Get 2 or three of these and read the review by Paul Howell for how to instructions.

Plug the first one where the router currently is and strategically place the others where you need them. I have one in the garage and one in the library ( it was a room but is now really a corridor to the extension).

Given that they are in stock I'll pick up another one as a spare backup.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Drop what you currently planning as extending none identical routers is a nightmare.

Get 2 or three of these and read the review by Paul Howell for how to instructions.

Plug the first one where the router currently is and strategically place the others where you need them. I have one in the garage and one in the library ( it was a room but is now really a corridor to the extension).

So they dont need hardwire to main router (sagem in that description) or each other? I'm trying to avoid wires around which is surely the point of Wifi!?!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
          So they dont need hardwire to main router (sagem in that description) or each other? I'm trying to avoid wires around which is surely the point of Wifi!?!
          I can only talk about my network (which is virgin media cable). the only cable is from the cable modem router (working as a modem) to box 1 (behind the telly). Box 2 and 3 are then tucked away in suitable locations with no cables connected to them at all.

In case that is not clear enough the entire wifi network uses nothing but those tenda boxes.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I can only talk about my network (which is virgin media cable). the only cable is from the cable modem router (working as a modem) to box 1 (behind the telly). Box 2 and 3 are then tucked away in suitable locations with no cables connected to them at all.

In case that is not clear enough the entire wifi network uses nothing but those tenda boxes.
            Perfect, and that is my purchase of the day then!! Now, if only could speed up the tulip broadband speed i can get... 3mb is v tulip!

Comment

Just got round to doing this today! 23 mins of set up (running round the house etc...) and wifi is excellent in every part with no black spots...

Cheers Eek

Comment

Hang on, its all gone tits up!!

worked for about 15mins then started going funny... Sys light is constantly flashing on the AP upstairs and when the equipments connects via the AP upstairs, it loses the connection.

The walk through is done on an old firmware, which one I dont know. Going to try and use the latest version and upgrade the firmware now...

Comment

I had an spare home hub as they gave me a new one when I moved house, just put one up stairs one downstairs, gave them different SSIDs and conncted them with a cat 5. I gave the one not connected to the phone socket a static local ip also.

Comment

Can I assume that a couple of cheap powerline adapters are out of the quesiton?
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X