• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extending Wifi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    Is there a cheap easy way to do this? I have a bit of a lame wifi network as it is, and when i move to a bigger house, will need to extend across 3 floors. Currently for streaming media i use those power plug things which use the electric cables. but they are RJ45, and every one I've seen, the app doesnt work with Macs so I cant encrypt the network etc.

I have old routers lying around, is it possible to bridge (or whatever you call it) and extend it that way? If so, how?

Boring Sunday morning means I'm finding time to sort the bits I've wanted too...
    Not true. I have a pair of Solwise Gbit plugs at the moment they have a little button on them. all you do is plug them in press the bottons and they are encrypted. No apps no fuss. working very well.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      Not true. I have a pair of Solwise Gbit plugs at the moment they have a little button on them. all you do is plug them in press the bottons and they are encrypted. No apps no fuss. working very well.
      Mine didnt have that option... Plus to replace them is £30+ and the wifi routers where £12 and 1 on its own is better than my sky supplied box.

For some odd reason, I've only updated the firmware on the box causing me issues. It had a moment and has been running great for 2hrs now... Weird.
      I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

WiFi Extender

Hi

I used a netgear wn2000rpt to extend the wireless in my house. Works really well. You can pick them up for £30 and up.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Can I assume that a couple of cheap powerline adapters are out of the quesiton?
          This. Powerline adapters are much quicker and more reliable than wireless, I've just updated mine to the latest Netgear pass-thru ones so I dont lose a plug socket (the 4 gang plugs into the powerline adapter itself) and they are superb, HD streaming no problem, couldn't do that with my wireless setup and they dont zap me with cancer rays.

Comment

I purchased a netgear wifi extender recently. Works a treat and very easy to set up. Looks exactly like a regular router.

Comment

Originally posted by empirenet View Post
              Hi

I used a netgear wn2000rpt to extend the wireless in my house. Works really well. You can pick them up for £30 and up.

Hope this helps.
              Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Running 2 PCs constantly from my office then occasionally other devices as well, never missed a beat even when watching Iplayer/movies from my server, and took about 2 minutes to setup although i am not using the extender i am just connecting back to my router

Comment

Working...
              X