• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing certificates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing certificates

Almost got program downloads sorted, now I need to sign my exe files so users don't get a security warning. Found some stuff about MS signtool but not sure where I get a certificate, clear as mud on net.

Any experiences on this? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I believe you need to buy a suitable "Authenticode" certificate from a commercial CA such as verisign.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

My current client use these guys Linky
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Ta for comments. Bleeding eck, these buggers want a lot of money for doing next to nothing.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Create your own self signed certificate.

No need to pay a 3rd party for a certificate to say you trust your own work and hosting.

IIRC you can create certificates in Visual Studio for testing. Can then use these 'test' certificates if you are hosting yourself and have control over installing the certificate in IIS etc, or are doing click once deployment which includes the cert in the deployment.

I know this as I did it myself a while back, when the client's certificate had long expired and they wanted me to update a click once download package with a modified Windows app. Instead of faffing around trying to get a new certificate installed (endless paperwork and bulltulip hoops to jump through) I just used the test one, seeing as the app is only downloaded by a few people and they need to be authenticated via a web app anyway to get to the download link.
          Last edited by PAH; 23 February 2012, 12:54.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Cheers PAH. I did find a link about self signing and started going through it but then came across an article that said a self signed certificate will still cause the user to get a warning message on download anyway. Is that not the case?

How to generate a self signed certificate
            How to create a self-signed Certificate
            bloggoth

Comment

Like anonymous rep do we have to sign all certificates with MF?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
              X