• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extract Outputs from Cobol....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extract Outputs from Cobol....

Just looking at some DB extracts from a cobol routine and a tool thats supposed to analyse the extracts is coming up with what seems like duplicate fields...

The only difference is the "picture" of the fields is different even though the field name is the same?

I have PIC9(07) and PICX(07)

any ideas on why it's doing this and what it means?

Cheers

Guys...
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

It's perfectly possible to have duplicate field names in COBOL if they belong to different records. You PIC 9 fields will probably be zero filled, the PIC X ones possibly have spaces.

More info needed really.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      It's perfectly possible to have duplicate field names in COBOL if they belong to different records. You PIC 9 fields will probably be zero filled, the PIC X ones possibly have spaces.

More info needed really.
      Actually your PIC 9 fields maybe null-filled if they haven't been initialised first...

(and your PIC X field for that matter...)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Actually your PIC 9 fields maybe null-filled if they haven't been initialised first...

The bane of my life at one time, that. It was an app maintenance gig and stray nulls caused a good 50% of the bug reports.

But unless the OP gets back with more info, there's not much we can do.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

#Memories, light the corners of my mind....#
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

[pedant]

Depends upon the compiler. Depends upon whether the initialize statement is used. Depends upon whether it is in a group. Depends upon whether any containing group has a value clause. But the language spec does actually define it all.

Comment

Working...
            X