• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asus Transformer Prime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Transformer Prime

What's the panel's opinion on the ATP for use in a work scenario? I know there have been some launch issues with it and a newer version is supposed to be released soon even though the initial release is still n back order.

Im thinking of using a tablet to keep track of meetings, notes and other every day work tasks etc. Is this a waste of time with a tablet or is it better to stick with pen and paper (which is cheaper but then again, the company would be paying for the tablet)?

Im not into net books even though they be better suited to the required task. Open to suggestions for other tablets. Dont want to spend more than the ATP so 500 quid max.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I got an ATP 32Gb yesterday. I'm new to tablets but I bought it specifically to study new stuff on the train. I have a long commute and I need to be able to read PDFs and watch videos. My Kindle (which is brilliant for normal ebooks) wasn't any good for that.

I paid just under £500 and it came with a keyboard dock so you can use it as a netbook if you want for spreadsheet work and documents. The dock is excellent quality. In fact the whole thing is very well built and very quick.

I'm still very new to it but for reading tecnhical PDFs it's perfect. I'm finding it a steep learning curve as I don't even have a touchscreen phone but it comes with lots of stuff preinstalled. I've not set up email or anything else yet. The GPS etc all seems to be work OK.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      I got an ATP 32Gb yesterday. I'm new to tablets but I bought it specifically to study new stuff on the train. I have a long commute and I need to be able to read PDFs and watch videos. My Kindle (which is brilliant for normal ebooks) wasn't any good for that.

I paid just under £500 and it came with a keyboard dock so you can use it as a netbook if you want for spreadsheet work and documents. The dock is excellent quality. In fact the whole thing is very well built and very quick.

I'm still very new to it but for reading tecnhical PDFs it's perfect. I'm finding it a steep learning curve as I don't even have a touchscreen phone but it comes with lots of stuff preinstalled. I've not set up email or anything else yet. The GPS etc all seems to be work OK.
      Thanks for this. Bit surprised you've got your hands on the ATP as its on back order virtually everywhere.

I like the idea it has a dock \ keyboard that extends the battery life. Im interested in a tablet too for work purposes ie for meetings, making notes, using for info etc.

Does the dock allow the ATP to close completely? Pics I've seen show it in an almost closed position but not completely and Im wondering how easy the tablet and dock are going to be to move from meeting to meeting (not the size but configuration).

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Thanks for this. Bit surprised you've got your hands on the ATP as its on back order virtually everywhere.
        Comet have stock. Didn't want the silver one though so got it in gray.

Does the dock allow the ATP to close completely? Pics I've seen show it in an almost closed position but not completely and Im wondering how easy the tablet and dock are going to be to move from meeting to meeting (not the size but configuration).
        Yes and although it doesn't lock it's a very firm hinge so it stays shut. It's very easy to transport. I bought a leather Navitech case with built in stand from Amazon (it only fits the tablet, not the keyboard) and that is heavy duty - it pretty much doubles the size and weight but I feel much more comfortable commuting with it now. You'd probably need some sort of complete cover for the tablet\keyboard combo.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Have you seen Retailer drops Eee Pad Transformer Prime, claims quality issues ? reghardware .
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That particular retailer is the only one so far to stop supplying. As they are the only one, I wouldnt read too much into it.

I know some people have complained about wifi and GPS on the Prime plus there is already talk of an upgrade. To me its still the non apple tablet to beat though.

Comment

That particular retailer is the only one so far to stop supplying. As they are the only one, I wouldnt read too much into it.

I know some people have complained about wifi and GPS on the Prime plus there is already talk of an upgrade. To me its still the non apple tablet to beat though.
              They've already done a release for the GPS problems, I think.

Edit - yep.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Very surprised - one thing that stands out for me is the apparent build quality.

Comment

I got one a month ago and sent it back last week - the wifi was just not up to what you would expect from a £500 device.
                  Apart from that though it was wonderful. Just waiting for the next version which is supposed to have better wifi and a higher definition screen to come out now
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    I got one a month ago and sent it back last week - the wifi was just not up to what you would expect from a £500 device.
                    Apart from that though it was wonderful. Just waiting for the next version which is supposed to have better wifi and a higher definition screen to come out now
                    In the end I got the Acer Iconia A510. Last week during our street party I was sat outside a good 30 meters from my house. The Iconia still picked up my home wi fi network and I was able to surf and post.

Im well impressed with the Iconia and glad I got it over the Prime tbh.

Comment

Working...
                    X