• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accessing ClientCo banned sites through my website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not quite getting how the user things bypassing client co security is acceptable. Just because you can bypass it it doesn't mean it is ok. The client doesn't want you viewing the sport pages.. period.. whatever method you use to get around this you are breaking client co policy. Is it worth it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If all you want to do is read the sports news at lunchtime, get a Kindle and subscribe to some newspapers. You can sync it with wifi before you leave in the morning, so no breach of the "no mobile/3g access on site" policy, and it's very obvious that it's for reading rather than anything that might attract attention from information security departments.

Or subscribe to RSS feeds on your smartphone and sync them in the morning before you leave, that works too. Unless they make you hand over your phone at the door (which some places do).
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I am not quite getting how the user things bypassing client co security is acceptable.
        Probably because they have never heard of breach of internet policies being used to sack permies and walk contractors of site.

He is also obviously not aware that clients ban things like sports pages and facebook for a good reason i.e. permies wasting a lot of their time on it, or doing streaming from the sports pages.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Probably because they have never heard of breach of internet policies being used to sack permies and walk contractors of site.

He is also obviously not aware that clients ban things like sports pages and facebook for a good reason i.e. permies wasting a lot of their time on it, or doing streaming from the sports pages.
          It's a misconception that Webfiltering is only used to monitor what sites are being accessed. It is also used to monitor how much bandwidth is being used as well.... well, that is the case in some companies where I worked. (And I say this as someone who works in Information Security).
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
            If it's possible, how would I approach it?
            What you want is called a reverse proxy.

As others have pointed out you are taking a risk bypassing restrictions client co have placed on the use of their network. Personally I would rather bring my own internet access.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

SSH is your friend ! you can use local port fowarding into the tunnel to your home network. Works very effectively and will always get you marched off site if found out. So dont get caught.

SSH Tunnelling (Port Forwarding) — RZG

Comment

Working...
              X