• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IE background image bug

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE background image bug

Does anyone else find that if you use background-image:url('...') in IE there is always a faint unsightly border round it that isn't present in other browsers? There are no links on the image and setting border:none on all images doesn't work.

This only started happening with IE8 that I noticed.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Ive not noticed this before, do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Ive not noticed this before, do you have a link?
      This, or post the code.

Comment

Cheers. Like here. I can see a faint line across the top of the tabs and under the home tab. There are links on those but removing the link makes no difference. It isn't the td either, same with any element with a backgound image.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 8 September 2012, 20:15.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'm struggling to see a feint line in IE8 (or FF, Chrome). But I can see how the design could give your eyes that illusion.

Can anybody else see this?

Edit: Would it possible to post a screenshot of what you see?

Comment

I can see the line, if you zoom in on ie9/ie8 you can see it. I can also see it on FireFox when i zoom in but its not as obvious. To me it looks like the tab background image is slightly lighter than the background colour. So the tab is #319CFF and the background colour is #3399FF.

Comment

True there is a very slight mismatch in colour, but this is a distinct darker outline. This what I'm seeing:

Nowt to do with anything in style. This minimum HTML still shows it:

<span style="width:100px; height:40px; background-image:url('image_files/tab1open.jpg');"}>xxxxxxxxxxx</span>

Maybe some wierd thing with my machine.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 24 January 2012, 11:42.
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I can see the line, if you zoom in on ie9/ie8 you can see it. I can also see it on FireFox when i zoom in but its not as obvious. To me it looks like the tab background image is slightly lighter than the background colour. So the tab is #319CFF and the background colour is #3399FF.
                I see it now zoomed right in.

I agree with woohoo about the colors.

tab=#319CFF
                below tab =##3399FF

Comment

But not the fine much darker outline as in that picture? Oh well, If it's not a common thing I won't bother about it. Cheers.
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    But not the fine much darker outline as in that picture? Oh well, If it's not a common thing I won't bother about it. Cheers.
                    Couldn't see it in IE8, or in FF or Chromium in Linux
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X