• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Business Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Actually tho where can you find Sun Directory Server 5.2 for AIX now - Oracle killed it, I have it, and RHEL for pSeries, I have 'em, disappeared online...

I'd rather have them to hand...
    I've seen lots of stuff go offline over the last few years. It's a real pain when the newer releases break something, or discontinue support for that old but still useful piece of once expensive hardware you have.

Last year HP put a paywall in front of their patches for their own operating systems last year - no support contract, no access.

Which is a bugger when a day zero vulnerability comes to the surface.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Crashplan! Currently backing up my entire NAS (Several TB's) of accumulated stuff (Linux Distros of course) all for bait $5.00 a month. Taking AGES to rysnc tho....
      The Virgin backup stuff is free on my new plan

I just need a Windows machine so that I can run the backup program
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        100Mb connection on order - installation Thursday afternoon.

Obviously a compenisatory thing.

I am on Virgin XL broadband and its still at 20Mb, reliable at around 18Mb most of the time!!!
        Although their standard seems to be 30Mb on XL.

From what I remember 50Mb + services are not traffic managed at all.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Obviously a compenisatory thing.

I am on Virgin XL broadband and its still at 20Mb, reliable at around 18Mb most of the time!!!
          Although their standard seems to be 30Mb on XL.

From what I remember 50Mb + services are not traffic managed at all.
          I was on the same.

They announced today that they are upgrading again between February and mid-2013. If you are on a 20Mb package, it will go to 60Mb with no additional cost. 50Mb goes to 100Mb, 100Mb goes to 120Mb, 10Mb goes to 20Mb.

Sometimes, I'll get close to the 20Mb I pay for, but not very often. Speedtest has just given me 11.68 on a wired connection through a gigabit switch. The new connection will also give me a "Virgin Super Hub" (WTF?) which means that when things go wrong, I can ring them and not have to go through the "you're using your own router, can you unplug it and go from the modem to the laptop" discussion.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I was on the same.

They announced today that they are upgrading again between February and mid-2013. If you are on a 20Mb package, it will go to 60Mb with no additional cost. 50Mb goes to 100Mb, 100Mb goes to 120Mb, 10Mb goes to 20Mb.

Sometimes, I'll get close to the 20Mb I pay for, but not very often. Speedtest has just given me 11.68 on a wired connection through a gigabit switch. The new connection will also give me a "Virgin Super Hub" (WTF?) which means that when things go wrong, I can ring them and not have to go through the "you're using your own router, can you unplug it and go from the modem to the laptop" discussion.
            Coolio, a 200% increase.

Do you have a URL for this announcement?

EDIT:
            Answer
            PCPro article
            Last edited by Scrag Meister; 11 January 2012, 11:11.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
              Coolio, a 200% increase.

Do you have a URL for this announcement?
              BBC News
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The Tivo box also has it's own 10Mbps connection as well, so anything that comes through there doesn't hit your download limit or connection speed.

(I wonder if I can hack a Tivo to do bittorrent and then get the files off there afterwards.....)
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I was on the same.

The new connection will also give me a "Virgin Super Hub" (WTF?) which means that when things go wrong, I can ring them and not have to go through the "you're using your own router, can you unplug it and go from the modem to the laptop" discussion.
                  Is the super hub the pile of tulip it used to be. The number of nightmares technically competent friends have had with them has simply put me totally off the idea of upgrading.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Is the super hub the pile of tulip it used to be. The number of nightmares technically competent friends have had with them has simply put me totally off the idea of upgrading.
                    It's still tulipe but not quite as bad as it was before the firmware upgrade a few months ago. I tend to need to reboot it around once per month rather than once or twice a week now. Normally the wireless connection drops or DNS just fails to resolve.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      If memory serves, it's a standard Netgear router with Virgin branding.

Dunno what it's like - installation is tomorrow afternoon, but I expect it will be a pain to configure the static IP addresses which my current router does for me automagically.

I suspect that I'll need to get a gigabit switch anyway to go with it, since I think there are only four wired ports and with the Tivo now also having the ethernet port enabled, that's all of them permanently used up without leaving a cable dangling for the laptop like I have at the moment.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X