• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Business Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    My exchange isnt an asdl2 one, no point in dsl at 6meg.

So do you guys have an asdl exchange? Are you getting near the 24meg or whatever it is Be advertise?

Every sky customer Ive known, tends to find after a while that their equipment (router) starts dropping forcing a power reset or the line drops .... Sounds like a massive pain in the arse ..
    I'm syncing at 19meg (ADSL2) and I think I'm 900 meters from the exchange as the crow flies. With Be they let you tweak the S/NR and with that I've had it at 22meg but it dropped out a lot so I put it back! Also Be somehow let you swap download for upload ISTR you could upload at 2.5meg but lose 4meg from download or something like that. To be honest since my initial dicking around with it I've just left it!

Not the cheapest and no frills like email or webspace, but solid internet.

Trouble is, I drive past the FTTC cab on the way to the station, 100 meters away from the house....

Comment

I also get somewhere in the teens with ADSL2 - about 16Mbit.

100Mbps would be pretty amazing, what do you need it for? And what upload do you get on that?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Virgin Media Business rates are:

30Mbps - £28/month on a three year contract. £34/month on a two year contract

50Mbps - £33/month on a three year contract. £39/month on a two year contract

They don't do a 100Mbps deal yet, which is surprising since I can get that on a home deal.

Virgin are the only choice here, so it's just what I do. The geek part of me wants a 100Mbps connection, which means it has to be a home connection. But, I don't want to pay for it, because I'm tight like that.

I'm not sure I want to get tied into a three year deal, because by then 50Mbps might be a joke and I'll "need" a quicker connection.

If I get the broadband through the business, then I'll cancel the TV package with Virgin and just have a home phone with them. But then I need to spend money on getting an aerial fitted to the house so I can get Freeview. Ah, the decisions.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I also get somewhere in the teens with ADSL2 - about 16Mbit.

100Mbps would be pretty amazing, what do you need it for? And what upload do you get on that?
          Upload speed is up to 10Mbps. Average download speed is 92.84Mbps.

No caps on the downloads, but I don't know whether they traffic shape on that connection (I think I read somewhere that they don't, but the site seems to have changed these days)
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Upload speed is up to 10Mbps.
            Where's the <drool> smiley when you need it?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Also Be somehow let you swap download for upload ISTR you could upload at 2.5meg but lose 4meg from download or something like that.
              That's called Annex M, not a lot of providers offer it.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

100Mb connection on order - installation Thursday afternoon.

Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

What are the general benefits of getting business class broadband when it's essentially the same connection as for home use?

Less restrictions on download limits?
                  Better upload speed?
                  'Free' static IP address?
                  Better contention ratio?
                  SLA, so compensated if it goes down for any length of time?

Don't see the point of a 100mb connection (or anything over the more usual up to 20mb connection) if you're still capped after only a few GB per day during peak hours. Just means you'll hit the capping quicker.

I expect they don't give any guarantees on download limits before throttling, instead just saying it's down to fair use.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    What are the general benefits of getting business class broadband when it's essentially the same connection as for home use?

Less restrictions on download limits?
                    Better upload speed?
                    'Free' static IP address?
                    Better contention ratio?
                    SLA, so compensated if it goes down for any length of time?

Don't see the point of a 100mb connection (or anything over the more usual up to 20mb connection) if you're still capped after only a few GB per day during peak hours. Just means you'll hit the capping quicker.

I expect they don't give any guarantees on download limits before throttling, instead just saying it's down to fair use.
                    well on the 50meg they don't traffic manage at all according to their tables. So i assume 100meg is the same.

The major benefit i can see on business accounts is being able to resell your bandwidth to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      100Mb connection on order - installation Thursday afternoon.

Nice!!

Was that pricey? they quoted me £11pm extra just for 50meg.

Comment

Working...
                      X