• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WIFI question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you using the AP diagnostics to ping the remote AP or from your PC?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
      Are you using the AP diagnostics to ping the remote AP or from your PC?
      Both.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You will probably need to do some configuration on your router to get things to work in bridge mode.

I use two identical access points in Bridge mode to create a wireless link between my office and the room with my ADSL modem in. They needed configuring so that they are using the same SSID and channel and each knows the MAC address of the other as well as various other configuration options having to be the same. I'm using the WDS mode which is a standard of sorts (although compatibility issues are not uncommon) but there are also point to point and point to multipoint modes which I think are a bit more vendor specific.

Client mode sounds like it should just connect to the wireless network and allow the wired devices to communicate. This may or may not work with more than one wired device connected though.

The other modes will not do what you want.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          OK so I set it up in bridge mode. I can ping the bridge, but not past it to the router in the house. Why is it not "Bridging"?
          Because you need to configure the house router in bridge mode as well. Otherwise it doesn't know that it has to send replies for a particular source address to your new gadget.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Assuming you have mains electricity to the office then I think you've bought the wrong product. Return it to whence it came and get some powerline adaptors off ebay.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Good call Freamon :thumbsupsmiley:

Comment

Another vote for the homeplug solution... works up to 300m on the house mains.

I've got one near my router and the other in my garage for my NAS.

Only problem I've found is that as the NAS "was" set to hibernate after 10 mins of inactivity, the homeplug goes into standby mode 5 mins later to save electricity. I've solved the problem by removing the hibernate setting and am working on a better solution of waking the homeplug up as the NAS is easy to wake up as it's a PITA going to the garage and rebooting the home plug.

If you are active on the connection it's not a problem....
                Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  Assuming you have mains electricity to the office then I think you've bought the wrong product. Return it to whence it came and get some powerline adaptors off ebay.
                  That.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Thanks Wim but I don't think you got what I was asking. Here is the step in the article that blows it out of the water :

My wifi router is in the house. My ethernet is in the office. I want to connect the two wirelessly.
                    What I did was buy a pair of solwise gigabit network over power line filters. I have an apple airport extreme in my office that uses the solwise as it's back bone to the BT router in the house. Works really well. I also have my Sonos plugged into it as well. As a bandwidth test, I can play spotify tracks, the Sonos and run two concurrent iplayer sessions all at once...

Cost me about £50 (had previously spent several hundred quid trying to make various different routers cover the office and house...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      What I did was buy a pair of solwise gigabit network over power line filters. I have an apple airport extreme in my office that uses the solwise as it's back bone to the BT router in the house. Works really well. I also have my Sonos plugged into it as well. As a bandwidth test, I can play spotify tracks, the Sonos and run two concurrent iplayer sessions all at once...

Cost me about £50 (had previously spent several hundred quid trying to make various different routers cover the office and house...
                      The ones I've got are the cheap ones and you certainly don't get anything like 100mbps over them. Got them off ebay for about 15 quid I think. Need to invest in some AV-grade (i.e. gigabit) ones really.
                      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                      X