• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VBS or similar script to extract data from a huge file and rearrange it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VBS or similar script to extract data from a huge file and rearrange it

I have a huge file (P14 for HMRC since you ask) that is in a daft HMRC format - it has a line that identifies the payee, followed by a variable number of lines of data. Each monetary value data item is on a single line, with a single code to identify it on the previous line. What I need to do is rearrange this so I get a row per EE with a column (fixed length or value separated - it doesn't matter).

I've been trying to write a .vbs script to do this (mainly by using Google to try and find similar code). Why vb? - The file has 1,079,198 rows and is therefore not really a candidate for excel - I don't have (and can't get) access and the data can't leave the premises (otherwise I could download some fancy freeware), but my programming skills are pretty meagre to say the least.

The only other viable tool I have access to is an oldish version of ultra edit (too old for scripting)

Any tips, links to sites would be greatly appreciated - bonus points awarded for "use excel, access, take file off site etc etc"

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I have a huge file (P14 for HMRC since you ask) that is in a daft HMRC format - it has a line that identifies the payee, followed by a variable number of lines of data. Each monetary value data item is on a single line, with a single code to identify it on the previous line. What I need to do is rearrange this so I get a row per EE with a column (fixed length or value separated - it doesn't matter).

I've been trying to write a .vbs script to do this (mainly by using Google to try and find similar code). Why vb? - The file has 1,079,198 rows and is therefore not really a candidate for excel - I don't have (and can't get) access and the data can't leave the premises (otherwise I could download some fancy freeware), but my programming skills are pretty meagre to say the least.

The only other viable tool I have access to is an oldish version of ultra edit (too old for scripting)

Any tips, links to sites would be greatly appreciated - bonus points awarded for "use excel, access, take file off site etc etc"
    Can you get it on a Unix box and awk it?

Comment

VBS should be fine for that.

Create 2 file objects and open both of them (1 reads in the current file, 2 saves the old file)

then create a string that you can slurp data into until you reach the end of that payee at which point you can save the line to the second file.

The code below does most of what you want its old code tho and you will need to add logic to identify if its a new payee line.

Code:
      dim payee

If objFSO.fileExists( "c:\temp\a.txt" ) Then
              'Open a file for reading 
              Set oInStream = objFSO.OpenTextfile( "c:\temp\a.txt", Forreading, False )

set oOutStream =fs.CreateTextFile("c:\test.txt",true)

lcount=0
              Do Until oInStream.AtEndOfStream

Line = oInStream.readLine 
                  // some validation logic.
      // add logic to check line to see if its a new new payee record
      //if new payee save string to second file
      oOutStream .WriteLine(payee) 
      payee=""
      end if
      payee=payee & "/t"&Line 

Loop
              oInStream.Close 
              Set oInStream = Nothing
      oOutStream.WriteLine(payee) 
      oOutStream.Close 
      Set oOuStream=Nothing
      end if
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks a million both of you - sadly I can't get it onto a Unix box - awk was my first thought (well grep, then awk actually) some of these young lads here haven't even heard of it!

Eek - many thanks the flow control logic was my "missing link" which you have kindly and generously supplied - thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X