• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does size matter.....?! :-)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does size matter.....?! :-)

I am looking at buying a tablet pc (probably a galaxy) and cant decide whether i need to get the 16, 32 or 64G model. Availability may rule out the 64G but then I stil have to decide between the other two.

Does anyone with a tablet have any comments and/or feedback? What is your experiences? I guess as I wont be storing pictures the main memory hoggers will be apps and videos; even then I guess I can store the videos on the SAN when I dont need them.

Thoughts please!

A guy in the store said that Samsung do a converter to allow memory stcik and/or SD card to be added to increase memory. Would this work as well as having the larger memory to start with?!

Finally what are your thoughts regarding iPad vs Tab?!!

TIA.
    Last edited by Mustang; 17 November 2011, 15:21.

there is no tablet market there is only an ipad market

Comment

Every single review ever posted says that iPad is the best tablet so make of that what you will.

I've got a 16GB iPad but have found this limiting as I use it to watch a lot of tv series downloaded from iTunes so often have to remove an old series to put a new one on there. Same when going on hols, I load it with the kids DVD's and it soon fills up with those.

Wish i'd got 32GB but originally bought it as a toy really without realising how much we'd actually use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
        I am looking at buying a tablet pc (probably a galaxy) and cant decide whether i need to get the 16, 32 or 64G model. Availability may rule out the 64G but then I stil have to decide between the other two.

Does anyone with a tablet have any comments and/or feedback? What is your experiences? I guess as I wont be storing pictures the main memory hoggers will be apps and videos; even then I guess I can store the videos on the SAN when I dont need them.

Thoughts please!

A guy in the store said that Samsung do a converter to allow memory stcik and/or SD card to be added to increase memory. Would this work as well as having the larger memory to start with?!

TIA.
        how about the motorola xoom? I think they're releasing the Xoom 2 soon (if they havent already...) I was thinking of getting a tablet and I found more positive reviews about the xoom than the galaxy.

Comment

iPad Too. iPad2, geddit?

Comment

My son has a Dell streak Phone and its far superior to an Iphone (apart from the size) but he is very much in the minority as we have only ever seen one other person with one and its the same with tablets, take a look around at the people with them almost all will be Ipads

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              Firstly, I have neither....

Galaxy Tab 10.1 seems to be the closest competitor to the iPad according to T3 magazine. The side by side comparison seemed to score the Galaxy higher on everything, but because there are more apps for iPad it got a lower overall score. That was the real downside - the lack (or perceived lack) of apps.

Honeycomb hasn't been around enough for developers to produce optimized apps for Android yet - with Ice Cream Sandwich this might become less of a problem because it is meant to be even more device agnostic than earlier Android versions.

If you aren't sure what you want a tablet for, then you might be better off getting a cheaper one and when you know what you want it for, then buy a different model.

Reg Hardware did a review of budget Android tablets - personally, I'm tempted by the AndyPad Pro at £179 as a starter until I really know what I want it to do.

There are other reviews on Reg Hardware for higher spec Android tablets here.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have an Ipad 1, I use it a lot and find it to be one of the best user experiences I have ever had with a device. I can remote into any machine and control it using WinAdmin, I can stream any media usi AirVideo, iPlayer, Sky Go etc etc. The app list is plentiful and with tabbed browsing Safari is better than before (but could do with better features). I might skip iPad 2 and wait for 3 (must be due out soon?)

Comment

FWIW the current memory usage on my iPad 2 is reported as:
                  • Audio 7.7GB
                  • Video 28.2GB
                  • Photos 0.06GB
                  • App6 7.4GB
                  • Books 0.22GB
                  • Other 1.63GB
                  • Free 13.1GB

so yes, it's probably going to be video that takes up the most space. Whether or not swapping videos in and out is worth the savings for the lower memory depends on how easy it is and how much you value your time, I suppose.

Can't comment on Galaxy v. iPad as I've only used the iPad.

Comment

I have the Sony Tablet S, which is brilliant. I got the 16gb one as I didnt plan on storing anything on it, though I have ended up with quite a few ebooks on it which is fine as they are tiny files.

Wouldnt buy anything Apple as I wont endorse their business practises.

Comment

Working...
                    X