• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

recommend me a linux / Unix Distro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommend me a linux / Unix Distro

Hi all,

im looking at installing Linux on my machine - to mess about with and was wondering if some of u linux / unix bods can point me in the direction of a distro which is:

1. easy to install as a dual boot with Windows xp
    2. can boot with SATA hard disks
    3. has got lots of bells and whistles etc to play with
    4. is free and downloadable (well i have got an 8mb line to play with

cheers
    "Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is."
    - PJ O'Rourke

Mac OS/X.

Comment

If you like poking around in the guts then Slackware is a fun one.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
        Mac OS/X.
        would agree - but its not legal to run on non-apple hardware - i had it running on my laptop - was fantastic, and slightly surreal to see the apple logo on a HP lappy!
        "Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is."
        - PJ O'Rourke

Comment

If you really want to learn as well the Gentoo is the one that'll teach you.

Everything is sourcebased and configuration is by hand. It'll take a while to get your system up but you WILL LEARN

Otherwise SUSE OSS. DOwnload ISO burn boot voila !
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

SuSE Pro 9.3 is my weapon of choice (haven't got round to upgrading to 10 yet). If you're going to run it on a laptop then this is the distro to have as it was the only one that detected and installed the wireless networking in my IBM Thinkpad out of the box.

YaST (the installer/software management utility) is pretty sweet too. Been Billyware free for a number of years now - though I use VMWare for the inevitable Internet Explorer testing.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
              Seconded.

Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning "Can't install Gentoo".
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Microsoft Vista is good I've heard.

Takes cover behind desk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  SuSE Pro 9.3 is my weapon of choice (haven't got round to upgrading to 10 yet). If you're going to run it on a laptop then this is the distro to have as it was the only one that detected and installed the wireless networking in my IBM Thinkpad out of the box.

YaST (the installer/software management utility) is pretty sweet too. Been Billyware free for a number of years now - though I use VMWare for the inevitable Internet Explorer testing.
                  SuSe 10 or Ubuntu if you want it really free.

Comment

Mac OS/X.

Originally posted by Chappo
                    would agree - but its not legal to run on non-apple hardware - i had it running on my laptop - was fantastic, and slightly surreal to see the apple logo on a HP lappy!
                    And why not?...isn't this somehow covered by the legal concept of reasonable use?

Comment

Working...
                    X