• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISEB or Prince2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISEB or Prince2

Hi,

I am mainly a technical contractor that has done quite a lot of BA work. I now want to get more and more into the BA world. I am doing this because I am a CRM technical contractor and there never seems to be any work out there (in London) these days, but there is a hell of a lot of BA work that doesn't require industry-specific experience.

To do this, I intend to rewrite my CV to have the BA slant.

I am also currently available and was considering to do some related training that leads to a certification. Would any of you guys out there recommend any of the following;

1. ISEB BA essentials training
    2. Prince2 training.
    3. None of the above.

I am inclined to do the Prince2 training as you can do that from home. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I would also appreciate any other advice that you might have on breaking into ths world.

Thanks,

T12
    Last edited by training12; 19 April 2006, 18:31.

Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on the above?

Comment

Okay I don't really know the answer but if it were me i'd:

Search jobserve and the like and see which of these is mentioned the most.
      Talk to colleagues who are already doing BA work.

Comment

I agree with DP. The "right" qualification is the one the client wants (which on many occasions will be "none at all").

Comment

Sorrry guys, but this does not really halp me that much. Can anyone with either qualification share their experiences?

Comment

No qualification will get you a gig. Just read around the subject so that you can sound knowledgeable at interview if asked.

For example, I am often asked at interview, "do you know Prince2". I just say "yes" and leave it at that. I've never practiced it but I know what it involves and that's good enough. 90% of clients who require it don't practice it themselves in any case.

Comment

Ok, so I have decided that I will not pay for a training course as yet and rewrite my CV. When I get an interview I will read around the subjects on the job spec. I'll keep you guys updated.

Comment

Correct approach. The only time to consider getting certification like that is in the unlikely eventuality that a client says they would have given you the job if only you had a piece of paper with "Prince2 Practitioner" (or whatever) written on it.

In contracting, experience is everything. When clients are in the market for a BA all they are looking for is someone who has worked on a virtually identical project before that came in successfully on time and budget. That's it.

Comment

It's all about Return on Investment - never spend/waste your money on training unless:

1) It ensures a rate increase
                  2) It encourages the client to extend your contract.

*And this is from a proper trainer*
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
                    No qualification will get you a gig. Just read around the subject so that you can sound knowledgeable at interview if asked.

For example, I am often asked at interview, "do you know Prince2". I just say "yes" and leave it at that. I've never practiced it but I know what it involves and that's good enough. 90% of clients who require it don't practice it themselves in any case.
                    I agree in the main - but a qualification can HELP to get you a gig. In my particular case, I decided to take the Prince2 certifications when I was between contracts. (Side issue - does investing in your own training aid IR35 status?) I just did self study - so not the same level of investment as attending a traning course. I would not have got my next contract without having the cert - it was a prerequisite. In reality it made sod all difference to my ability to do the job.

Ultimately though, any certification course simply teaches you to pass an exam. Learn the things the exam expects, get the cert. As I'm sure everyone here will testify, real life is a different ball game and real life experience counts for a whole load more in doing a good job.

In summary - a cert can help you get your foot in the door, but real life experience counts for a lot more once you've walked through the door.

Comment

Working...
                    X