• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies vs clients vs tech knowledge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies vs clients vs tech knowledge

Isn't it amazing that you load your CV with hints that you're a C# guy and you end up having to work with VB.Net and classic ASP (clunk-o-matic languages). I'm not moaning but it's not "ideal".
    Last edited by cswd; 27 April 2006, 12:11.

Originally posted by cswd
    Isn't it amazing that you load your CV with hints that you're a C# guy and you end up having to work with VB.Net and classic ASP (clunk-o-matic languages).

What is the world like.
    The world is full of agencies who use rubbish CV-sifting techniques.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Well VB.Net isnt too bad... just coming to the end of a 6th month sojourn with it and frankly it does the job, although I prefer C# as the squiggly bits make me look like Im a real programmer...
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

VB.NET just looks so childish, is verbose and encourages sloppy thinking.

Best .NET developers come from a C++ or Java background (and have solid OO mindset).

VB.NET devs tend to have come from a VB6 or VBScript background and the lack of OO techniques in their code shows real bad. Cut and paste reuse and lots of modules of functions with many simple type parameters. Messy.

Microsoft, do the decent thing and drop VB.NET and force these types back to plumbing, macdonalds and roadsweeping where they belong......

Comment

I disagree.... the language may look verbose but in certain cases its more productive than C# (and C# is my speciality).

To say the best programmers come from a c++ background is a bit suspect - ive seen crappy c++ code and .Net code produced by people who claim to have lived in OO land for decades... common sense, good analytical skills, the ability to understand and develop a solution are not the sole preserve of people who type { or >> a lot.....
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

its all about the right tool for the job.

VB.NET is adequate enough for many small-medium size jobs. The real problem as mentioned is the lazy coding monkeys... lack of OO i can understand its another layer of complexity which for small jobs you don't always need, what i really really hate is when you get the cut and paste merchants who can't be bothered to functionalise anything
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I always avoid functional programming - I think it comes from my Fortran years and a fear of long arguments - they are just so common. Nowadays I just stick everything in main and cut and paste in repeated code blocks - saves the compiler inlining it all.

Comment

I had to listen to a pimp spell out H-T-T-P on the phone once, it was obvious they didnt have a fecking clue...

Gotta love em!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

C was always best as you could shove loads and loads of stuff into one for loop and make it really totally incomprehensible, which of course should be the aim of any decent programmer. Programming really started going downhill once they starting discouraging GOTO and allowing variables longer than six letters although I fight back by calling all my variables arse.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

On Error Goto Cleethorpes was one I had seen....
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X