• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Allow file upload to a website - what are the problems?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow file upload to a website - what are the problems?

One way to attract people to a website is a free service.

The sister would be interested in providing a free nature identification service, people upload a photo, she says what it is. The upload part is easy enough technically, just concerned we are going to get spammers or others uploading dodgy stuff.

Any brill ideas on approach? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Someone is bound to upload a photo of their nob

Comment

If your site hosting provider can provide MySQL and PHP you could setup a Coppermine gallery. Lots of options to screen out spam with some careful configuration.

There are probably lots of other options like a Joomla based site with a suitable gallery extension.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

The problems I've found with allowing file uploads.

People try and upload enormous files.
        People upload files infected with a virus/trojan.
        People upload silly file types (e.g. instead of an image they upload a word doc with an image in it).
        People upload dubious images.
        People upload the same image 20 times because they are not sure if it worked.

Basically users are s/idiots

The best solution I found to some of these issues was to use a Flash image upload component, this prevented multiple uploads, image resizing, file type checks, progress bar, cancel upload, multiple uploads at once, etc.

Comment

Or outsource the whole problem to professional image hosting sites like Flickr, Picasa, .... loads of them to choose from so many people interested in taking photos probably have something already.

Then get them to provide a link to the image.

A lot easier/quicker to implement too.

Maybe there's a way of using one of the professional sites as a host, allowing people to upload to your album, which you can then maintain.

Other option is to get them to email them to you, so you can monitor submissions before making public on your own galleries. Also stops them submitting massive files as email doesn't like them either (either rejects them or takes ages to process).
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Cheers for answers.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X