• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop - MAC ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I am about to return to contracting and the gig I've landed is mainly WFH with 2/3 days on client site every 2 weeks. I've been told that the environment is mainly Linux. Most of the contractors have mac book pros.

I've never owned a mac before and this could be ideal - however I'm struggling to justify the cost of one.

So I'm asking the panel - Mac book pro or New laptop with linux ?
    Get a 13" Macbook Pro - full screen bash prompt and you will fit right in the Linux environment.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
      Get a 13" Macbook Pro - full screen bash prompt and you will fit right in the Linux environment.
      Or you could do it properly.

WYSE TERMINAL AND KEYBOARD X 20 UNITS | eBay
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
        ksh rules! Bash is for noobs!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          ksh rules! Bash is for noobs!
          surely zsh. I want my tab key to do the work.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            He could telnet/virtual desktop into the development machines if he needs real horsepower.
            ssh rather than telnet, please. Even if you are on your own LAN, it's good practice. It was quite a swine to enable the telnet server on OS X (maybe a few releases ago) as well, so I thought "Why bother?".

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            OpenSuse 64bit ftw...
            After trying out various distros, I've more or less settled on that too.
            Last edited by Sysman; 13 September 2011, 12:36.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              surely zsh. I want my tab key to do the work.
              Esc-\ does the tab work in korn if you've done 'set -o vi', I think, over a week since I was on the console. I will fire up an LPAR on the pSeries anon and feedback....

zsh and tcsh exist on my SGI Fuel, pity it's no noisy...

Comment

Get a Core i7 15" Macbook Pro. Treat yourself, you gets what you pays for. 13" bit too small for working on all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  Get a Core i7 15" Macbook Pro. Treat yourself, you gets what you pays for. 13" bit too small for working on all day.
                  Of course there is now a rumoured speed bump to keep you wandering whether to buy now or wait a couple of weeks.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Of course there is now a rumoured speed bump to keep you wandering whether to buy now or wait a couple of weeks.
                    Linky

Comment

Working...
                    X