• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New laptop - MAC ?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New laptop - MAC ?"

Collapse

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Of course there is now a rumoured speed bump to keep you wandering whether to buy now or wait a couple of weeks.
    Linky

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Get a Core i7 15" Macbook Pro. Treat yourself, you gets what you pays for. 13" bit too small for working on all day.
    Of course there is now a rumoured speed bump to keep you wandering whether to buy now or wait a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Get a Core i7 15" Macbook Pro. Treat yourself, you gets what you pays for. 13" bit too small for working on all day.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    surely zsh. I want my tab key to do the work.
    Esc-\ does the tab work in korn if you've done 'set -o vi', I think, over a week since I was on the console. I will fire up an LPAR on the pSeries anon and feedback....

zsh and tcsh exist on my SGI Fuel, pity it's no noisy...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    He could telnet/virtual desktop into the development machines if he needs real horsepower.
    ssh rather than telnet, please. Even if you are on your own LAN, it's good practice. It was quite a swine to enable the telnet server on OS X (maybe a few releases ago) as well, so I thought "Why bother?".

OpenSuse 64bit ftw...
    After trying out various distros, I've more or less settled on that too.
    Last edited by Sysman; 13 September 2011, 12:36.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    ksh rules! Bash is for noobs!
    surely zsh. I want my tab key to do the work.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Get a 13" Macbook Pro - full screen bash prompt and you will fit right in the Linux environment.
    ksh rules! Bash is for noobs!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Get a 13" Macbook Pro - full screen bash prompt and you will fit right in the Linux environment.
    Or you could do it properly.

WYSE TERMINAL AND KEYBOARD X 20 UNITS | eBay

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    I am about to return to contracting and the gig I've landed is mainly WFH with 2/3 days on client site every 2 weeks. I've been told that the environment is mainly Linux. Most of the contractors have mac book pros.

I've never owned a mac before and this could be ideal - however I'm struggling to justify the cost of one.

So I'm asking the panel - Mac book pro or New laptop with linux ?

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Alienware, loaded to within an inch of your creditlimit!

i7, Dual Graphics Adapter, 32 Gigs Ram...

Forget battery life, what you're after is a mobile desktop...
    I'm betting they don't come cheap !!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Dell Precision - it's possible to squeeze 3 physical hard drives in to the 15" unit along with the i7 quad core and 32 gb ram

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    He could telnet/virtual desktop into the development machines if he needs real horsepower.

OpenSuse 64bit ftw...
    Ah, so he wants a thin client type thing?

Or maybe not

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied

Don't forget the optional add-on that really should be compulsory for those: 1 x 36 month frequent-user physiotherapy contract to help your back recover from carrying the beast around.

Good machines but they're not exactly road warrior kit!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    So going for a regular yet powerful windows laptop, vm player and an linux iso build.

Seems like a plan

Next question - what laptop

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You're a contractor. Now buy the 13" Mac book air* and be happy.

* Unless you are dealing with programs that require more than 4gb of memory at which point the Mac book pro is a better bet.

OpenSuse 64bit ftw...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X