• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip DVDs for playing off a HDD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip DVDs for playing off a HDD

I have been decluttering my castle (ripping all my DVDs and CDs) and was wondering what software you would recommend to do this as there are so many apps out there that can do the job - DVD ripper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    I have been decluttering my castle (ripping all my DVDs and CDs) and was wondering what software you would recommend to do this as there are so many apps out there that can do the job - DVD ripper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I used Handbrake for a while and its good but slow.

Nowadays I've given up on that idea and use Newzbin to find an existing version and download that.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

DVD Shrink, simple and straightforward
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        DVD Shrink, simple and straightforward
        Doesn't work with the latest encryption on DVD's and hasn't been updated in years.

DVD Shrink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In either mode, the program has options to facilitate the stripping of the CSS copy protection, User operation prohibition (prohibiting skipping over previews or "FBI Warnings" and so on), and also allows the copy to be either made region-free (the default setting) or set for any region code. Extra software (such as AnyDVD, AVS Video Converter, or DVD Decrypter) may be required to remove more recent forms of copy protection such as Macrovision Ripguard. DVD Shrink can also shrink hard disk files already ripped by programs that can overcome more recent copy protection systems, but that do not offer the 2-layer to 1-layer compression.

Comment

I use DVD Shrink for the majority of my DVDs. Still works.

On the rare occasion it fails I use MakeMKV (which does DVD as well as Blu-Ray).

Sometimes the protection is too good for either, in which case I snap the disc into little pieces as a lesson.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Handbrake on Linux - never known it not to overcome encryption and good for different formats - used mine to put series6 of the Sopranos onto ipod to watch on train.

Comment

Does Handbrake preserve the DVD menu structure?

I know DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter do so I tend to use those where possible, unless not particularly bothered about retaining the menus if I'm just ripping the main movie and ditching the extras.

DVD menus are particularly handy for ripped TV series so you can choose episodes. I find ripping software doesn't always get the episodes in the correct order, so having a menu (or manually checking and renaming each episode, which can be a ball-ache) is recommended.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

No.

Comment

I know its not free, but DVD Fab remains true to its name.
                  "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    It maintains chapters. Who wants the annoying menus?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X