• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for a kick-ass kitchen radio

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a kick-ass kitchen radio

in vain so far

I'm after a modern equivalent of the legendary Grundig Satellit 3400 or perhaps a Sanyo RP 8880. But these all seem to be vintage highly-sought after models now!

Do any radio hams know of a modern multi-band equivalent (ideally incorporating DAB), money no object up to say £500?

I gather even the Sony STSA50ES Tuner, which looks a bit more modern, is practically an antique these days.

P.S. Please don't bore me and everyone else by pointing out that a £20 radio is adequate - I want something that looks impressive, with lots of bands, preferably two or three dozen, and to be able to tune in to stations hundreds of miles away!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 July 2011, 22:46.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I know what you mean. I wanted my parent's old valve job but it mysteriously disappeared. Lovely mellow sound, had dial markings for "Light Service", "Home Service" and "Hilversum", and several short wave bands, all in a nicely polished wooden cabinet too.

I had good results with a Sony 7600 from 1985 at the 150 quid mark, but it sounded tinny in comparison. The frequency listing book that came with it was an invaluable in finding stations and what hours they transmitted at what times of the day.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Reminds me of my dads old AIWA "music centre" that I inherited, a massive wooden and metal thing with tape deck, record deck and LW/MW/SW/FM tuner. When I was finally big enough to be allowed to touch it I used to spend hours scanning the airwaves when I was a kid looking for strange things to listen to. He had a roberts one as well, in a nice wooden box.

SW seems to be an unusual thing to find on a radio these days. They all have ipod docks and things instead.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        One of these?

30 bands.

More knobs to twiddle than any sane person could possibly want.

It's a bit heavy though.

Especially in the rack.
        Yes, something similar to that (maybe a bit lighter and slicker) would be ideal!

Except that I suspect the spare valves one might need stopped being available around the time the Whitechapel Carriage Lamp factory closed.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Yes, something similar to that (maybe a bit lighter and slicker) would be ideal!

Except that I suspect the spare valves one might need stopped being available around the time the Whitechapel Carriage Lamp factory closed.
          Not to sure about that. Didn't someone start making the valves for old equipment again? I'm sure I remember reading about it about 10 years ago.

Comment

This question is a bit like "what's the best computer?" It all depends upon what you want from a radio, i.e sound clarity, wattage, maneuverability, type of receiver etc.
            As kitchens tend to have a greasy atmosphere I wouldn't recommend you paying anything near £500!

Without knowing what you really want, I'd say go for a cheap and cheerful DAB/FM/AM from asda!

Comment

....or

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post

Without knowing what you really want, I'd say go for a cheap and cheerful DAB/FM/AM from asda!

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
                ....or

Yes!! Something like that is exactly what I want (as long as it's all radio, and not a glorified amp) !

But don't tease us - What's the make and model ? Is there a link?

Comment

FTDX-5000 Premium HF/50MHz Transceiver

I can't get an aerial good enough to run this Yaesu. But one day....

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes!! Something like that is exactly what I want (as long as it's all radio, and not a glorified amp) !

But don't tease us - What's the make and model ? Is there a link?
                    Yaesu
                    another link

Comment

Working...
                    X