• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking for a kick-ass kitchen radio"

Collapse

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    Contact your local amateur radio club Radio Society of Great Britain | Your Gateway to Local Information They'll probably be able to help?

or try contacting Martin Lynch, his website ML&S Martin Lynch and Sons Ltd

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MikeNguyen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    One of these?

Where can I find something like this? Any cheap price at all?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Probably not what you are looking for but I bought one of these.

They sound good, have internet and digital rado as well as the normal FM - not sure about AM. And it can stream from your PC - although I have not got it doing that yet!

AVANTI Flow - Table-top Digital Music System.

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    Perhaps take a look at getting Apple tv (awesome little thing) and some Airplay enabled speakers. Can stream hundreds of radio stations directly to the speakers.

EDIT, possibly takes you slightly over budget though.
    Last edited by rhubarb; 12 July 2011, 09:39. Reason: to edit the post.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It seems I was thinking of The Wireless Telegraphy Act which says

Although that seems to date back to 1949, so I think perhaps it was tolerated and then someone changed their mind, although how they enforce it is anyone's guess.
    I'm sure I read about even listening being banned, somewhere in the anti-terrorist measures introduced under NL. Might have just been there in the proposal stages though.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It seems I was thinking of The Wireless Telegraphy Act which says

48Interception and disclosure of messages

(1)A person commits an offence if, otherwise than under the authority of a designated person—

(a)he uses wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of a message (whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not) of which neither he nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient, or

(b)he discloses information as to the contents, sender or addressee of such a message.

(2)A person commits an offence under this section consisting in the disclosure of information only if the information disclosed by him is information that would not have come to his knowledge but for the use of wireless telegraphy apparatus by him or by another person.

(3)A person does not commit an offence under this section consisting in the disclosure of information if he discloses the information in the course of legal proceedings or for the purpose of a report of legal proceedings.

(4)A person who commits an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

(5)“Designated person” means—

(a)the Secretary of State;

(b)the Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs; or

(c)any other person designated for the purposes of this section by regulations made by the Secretary of State.
    Although that seems to date back to 1949, so I think perhaps it was tolerated and then someone changed their mind, although how they enforce it is anyone's guess.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    No it's not illegal to listen to them, however it is illegal to act upon any information you hear over the radio!
    In my student days we used to listen to the police band occasionally. One highlight was a car chase and they lost him.

I've a feeling they dropped the ability to listen to civil air transmissions from later models of that Sony I had. Perhaps that's what doodab was thinking about.

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    Isn't it illegal to listen to the emergency services and aircraft bands now? I seem to remember hearing about that a few years ago.
    No it's not illegal to listen to them, however it is illegal to act upon any information you hear over the radio!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeNguyen View Post
    Breville VTT296 Black 2 Slice Radio Toaster: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Hehe..what about this!!??

My partner fell in love with this but I wouldn't allow it in my kitchen!
    Now _this_ is a toaster.

(although admittedly I have the 2 slice model)

Leave a comment:

• MikeNguyen
    replied
    Breville VTT296 Black 2 Slice Radio Toaster: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Hehe..what about this!!??

My partner fell in love with this but I wouldn't allow it in my kitchen!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    What about this one?

Eton Satellit 750 FM Stereo/LW/MW/SW/Air receiver

Isn't it illegal to listen to the emergency services and aircraft bands now? I seem to remember hearing about that a few years ago.
    Bingo! That's the one for me, if it's still available.

Site looks interesting too. I'll have a mosey round later.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    What about this one?

Eton Satellit 750 FM Stereo/LW/MW/SW/Air receiver

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Sussed it - The Yaesu FT DX 5000 Series HF

Looks good

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    If you buy one, just don't use the microphone, EVER (unless you're a hammy!)

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes!! Something like that is exactly what I want (as long as it's all radio, and not a glorified amp) !

But don't tease us - What's the make and model ? Is there a link?
    Yaesu
    another link

Leave a comment:

Working...
X