• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broken laptop screen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Well yes, if you've got some £800 laptop and the screen is broke, fix it.

But if you've got a 4 year old Acer running dog slow CPU, tiny HDD with 5 minutes battery life, just bin it and replace.
    Or turn it into a home media server and keep it tucked away in a cupboard.

BTW the OP hasn't indicated if he's checked the video output just in case it is the video chip that's gone. In which case...bin it.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Take the DIY route - it'll save you a fortune !!

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Strip the screen out and look up the part number on EBay.

I replaced the screen in a netbook recently and the screen was £29 incl delivery.
      Couldn't agree more. Recently replaced a Macbook Screen - just needed a set of Hex/Posi Screw Drivers from Maplin - branded replacement screen from Ebay - and a quick Google of " Macbook Screen Replacement Guide" And have done same for a friends Sony Laptop which he trashed while trying to upgrade the memory (but that's another story !!)

Most of the Guides (iFixit etc) actually have step-by-step guides - and also tell you which part number you need to find/source (and usually where it can be had)

Comment

Paid £110 for 17" Samsung laptop screen, fitted my self.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          BTW the OP hasn't indicated if he's checked the video output just in case it is the video chip that's gone. In which case...bin it.
          Screen looks cracked and the area of non functioning screen (i.e. areas of black) have spread out from this crack.

By the way, I ordered a new screen for £79 from here:

Laptop Screens | Laptop Screen | Laptop LCD Screens | Replacement Laptop Screens | Broken Laptop Screen - Home

Comment

Working...
          X