• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless network adapters for TVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    This all seems a bit OTT - maybe there's a good technical reason but why can't you get an ethernet plug with a wireless dongle attached for £10 - I'm thinking just like the USB ones but ethernet instead?

Some of those bridges look closest but still not as simple.
    Usb can run power to your wireless dongle, Ethernet does not,

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      This all seems a bit OTT - maybe there's a good technical reason but why can't you get an ethernet plug with a wireless dongle attached for £10 - I'm thinking just like the USB ones but ethernet instead?
      Well, to do that you need pretty much everything that is in a WiFi dongle + some extra memory and processing capacity to allow it to build up a database of MAC addresses, filter packets based on MAC address, store and forward packets etc. You also need a power supply.

You can actually pick all of this up for around £20-30.

TP LINK 54Mbps Wireless Access Point (TL-WA500G) - dabs.com
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Ah, I was envisaging it just 'beaming' ethernet wirelessly without having to do all that other stuff. Guess ethernet just doesn't bend that way
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I just replaced my wi-fi to the lounge with an ethernet over power (ebuyer 200mbps ... 1000mbps wasn't available at that price at the time) because I was finding iplayer over wi-fi wasn't good - no problems now though.

So personally I'd take the power over ethernet route, unless you live close to a radio ham.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
            I just replaced my wi-fi to the lounge with an ethernet over power (ebuyer 200mbps ... 1000mbps wasn't available at that price at the time) because I was finding iplayer over wi-fi wasn't good - no problems now though.

So personally I'd take the power over ethernet route, unless you live close to a radio ham.
            I think I’m going to do the same, I moved a PC into the dining room and bought a Belkin N300mbps dongle (just to future proof) but the signal was poor even the though the ‘G’ router was only 4m away and through one wall.

Reading the gumph about ‘N’ having greater range and a stronger signal than ‘G’ I just upgraded to a D-Link N300mbps router, I’m seriously pissed off that the signal is no better. Maybe the dongle is the weak link??

I’m sure wireless is fine in modern houses with paper thin walls but no good for me.

Saying that, my mother lives in a Victorian house with foot thick stone internal walls and her cheapo orange box has no trouble communicating with her IPTV 15m away through 2 walls.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
            X