• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparing and Merging large directories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparing and Merging large directories

I have all my music stored on both a home network drive and a USB HD but over the past few years they've got out of sync.

What's the best (free) app that can compare/merge the differences?

I want to avoid creating loads of duplicates.

DiffMerge just hangs, probably due to the number of files.

Either Win or Mac solution will do although Mac preferred.

TIA

PL

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I have all my music stored on both a home network drive and a USB HD but over the past few years they've got out of sync.

What's the best (free) app that can compare/merge the differences?

I want to avoid creating loads of duplicates.

DiffMerge just hangs, probably due to the number of files.

Either Win or Mac solution will do although Mac preferred.

TIA

PL
    If a file is a duplicate would it have the same name in both locations? If so you could do it quite easily with something like Robocopy
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      If a file is a duplicate would it have the same name in both locations? If so you could do it quite easily with something like Robocopy
      Same name yes but possibly different timestamps.

I will have a google, Ta.

Comment

cp with -R -n and -v seems to work but I'll have to do it both ways so to speak

Comment

If it has the same name, is it the same thing? If so, you can just xcopy them over to one directory and set the command line flags to deal with duplicates (ignore, overwrite, etc)?

Comment

Try TidyUp for Mac, or use the command line, look at mv, ditto etc

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              If it has the same name, is it the same thing? If so, you can just xcopy them over to one directory and set the command line flags to deal with duplicates (ignore, overwrite, etc)?
              Yeah, it's the same but I was hoping for a nice sync app with pretty screens Essentially doing this now with cp rather than xcopy

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Try TidyUp for Mac, or use the command line, look at mv, ditto etc
              Will have a look at TidyUp later for future use.

Ta all.

Comment

For all compare jobs i use Compare files and directories with this file comparison software - Beyond Compare is a powerful, time-saving file compare utility.

Not free (although the trial never used to expire for some reason) but is a great tool to have around and worth the cash.

Comment

I also recommend Beyond Compare if you're after a nice front end, which helps when manually checking contents of folders to make sure you don't overwrite the wrong stuff.

I also use Dsynchronize (which is free) for semi-automatically syncing folders for backup purposes. It allows a list of source/destination folders to be set up so resyncing later can be done at the click of a button.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

For a really nice utility that'll synchronize, merge or backup folders of files try SyncBack.
                    (2BrightSparks | SyncBackSE)

There's a free version and also paid-for versions, but the free version will probably suit your needs. There's a number of options for synchronizing too based on one folder always overwrites the other, based on last modified date etc.

I've been using it for years to synchronize my files and folders between hard-disks.

Comment

Working...
                    X