• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Internet access feasible with a prepay phone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Internet access feasible with a prepay phone?

I just ordered my HTC Desire HD, but am a bit worried I'll simply use it as a phone and completely ignore all the gizmos, as I always have done with mobile phones (apart from maybe the camera).

Given that I only do prepaid, and will definitely not consider a contract, are there any deals where it is feasible to access the Internet occasionally and send emails? Or would that still burn through credit like a 5-litre Ford Thunderbird doing 90 in 2nd gear gets through petrol.

Another reason for wanting to get more savvy with mobile Internet access, and shaking off my luddite attitude to mobile phones, is that contracts in my line will no doubt soon start expecting to see this on CVs!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I just ordered my HTC Desire HD, but am a bit worried I'll simply use it as a phone and completely ignore all the gizmos, as I always have done with mobile phones (apart from maybe the camera).

Given that I only do prepaid, and will definitely not consider a contract, are there any deals where it is feasible to access the Internet occasionally and send emails? Or would that still burn through credit like a 5-litre Ford Thunderbird doing 90 in 2nd gear gets through petrol.

Another reason for wanting to get more savvy with mobile Internet access, and shaking off my luddite attitude to mobile phones, is that contracts in my line will no doubt soon start expecting to see this on CVs!
    I think it really depends on the network reception in the area you live. I know here in South London the best for 3G reception is o2 and Orange. You can buy bolt-ons for o2 and I'm pretty sure there is a data one that gives you a certain amount of data for £5 credit.

If you don't get any special deals, try call up your network and see if they can sort anything out for you, most are willing if you can use some charm. Otherwise you will absolutely murder your credit, £1 for 1MB etc.

Comment

You could also look at one of the monthly sim-only deals.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I have a pay as you go deal with Orange. If I top up by £10 per month I get free internet up to 500MB. As I don't make a lot of calls on the phone this deal works out great for me. I only top up about 10 times a year and let the credit run down a bit (i.e. pay for my internet) when its built up a lot.

I've just bought a Google Nexus S SIM free and probably going to use much more internet until I stop playing with it!
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          You could also look at one of the monthly sim-only deals.
          Monthly sim only is a good deal, I have this with 3 mobile and like yourself only use the t'internet and t'e-mail on the phone. Costs about £15ish.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I have T-Mobile PAYG. 3G Internet costs me £1 for any 24 hour period where I use it, or you can get 5 days running for £2.50.

Which aint bad, and I don't use it very often, but it's nice to have.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I have T-Mobile PAYG. 3G Internet costs me £1 for any 24 hour period where I use it, or you can get 5 days running for £2.50.

Which aint bad, and I don't use it very often, but it's nice to have.
              So the second option is £15 per month, on average. Hmm, you're right, that's not bad at all, as long as the fair usage policy is realistic (and you can't inadvertently wrap over into subsequent "days" within a day's charging period - That's just the kind of sneaky trick some ISPs would pull!)

But when taking payment from your credit balance, how does it know which tariff you are on? Or is that something you arrange with them up front?

Think I'll give T-Mobile a ring.

Comment

I know this is offtopic and basically trolling outside of General but...

Why would future clients want to know you can use the internet on your phone?

Comment

But when taking payment from your credit balance, how does it know which tariff you are on? Or is that something you arrange with them up front?
                  You send a text to activate the 5 days for £2.50.

Just had a look at the website, and it's got better: £5 for a month, or £20 for 6 months:

Pay as you go Boosters

I probably should have paid more attention.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I know this is offtopic and basically trolling outside of General but...

Why would future clients want to know you can use the internet on your phone?
                    I do web(bish) development. So they might want to know that includes mobile web pages (which currently it doesn't), or at least be clued up on the differences.

Unless all that is pretty much transparent to the server, and the web client takes care of it (but then I wouldn't know that).

Comment

Working...
                    X