• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SSD drives reviewed @El Reg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD drives reviewed @El Reg

Seven SSD sizzlers
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

I really fancy one for my laptop but use Boot Camp on it so need at least 500GB, looks like that'd cost me £750

Ah well, maybe in 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      I really fancy one for my laptop but use Boot Camp on it so need at least 500GB, looks like that'd cost me £750

Ah well, maybe in 12 months.
      use an optibay. place the operating system on the newly bought ssd and keep everything else on your current hard disk.

I have to comment that the review is tulip tho. The current state of the art drive is the Vertex 3. One drive not even included in the view is the Vertex 3.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        use an optibay. place the operating system on the newly bought ssd and keep everything else on your current hard disk.
        Had been looking at those but decided I'd rather keep my optical drive, its my main iTunes machine so use it for ripping DVD's & CD's plus do a lot of burning on it. Could get an external writer but its less handy that way.

Looks like the uptake of SSD's has been good though, seen loads of people raving about them so hopefully, if they are selling well, the prices will be in the way down soon and more manufacturers will enter the market.

May get a wee one to replace the disk in my Mac Mini to see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
          Had been looking at those but decided I'd rather keep my optical drive, its my main iTunes machine so use it for ripping DVD's & CD's plus do a lot of burning on it. Could get an external writer but its less handy that way.

Looks like the uptake of SSD's has been good though, seen loads of people raving about them so hopefully, if they are selling well, the prices will be in the way down soon and more manufacturers will enter the market.

May get a wee one to replace the disk in my Mac Mini to see what all the fuss is about.
          The japan earthquake might well send prices the other way
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
          X