• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hosted SVN options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosted SVN options?

After a good few years of running an SVN server I think it is time to move onto a hosted solution (Less hassle basically).

Very few users (3) and would like the option to take a back up of the repository at any point. It is 130 meg at the moment.

Decision factors as ever include reliability, cost, reputation.

Anyone know of a cheapish solution that would not disappear overnight and who have a good uptime?

Cheers

Been using Codesion for a while now. The main project I work on uses it, and my plan B is on their free plan. That's limited to 1 user and their cheapest $6.99/mo is 2-users, so I guess you'd be looking at $19.99/mo (link)

I think you get a few freebies like bugzilla/trac thrown in as well but it might vary by plan.

I've been happy with them and their response to any questions, you can backup your work easily and they also claim very decent backups of their own.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Could go for that. One of the users is for automated stuff so i will just cut him out, $64 is a fair price for the year.

Just now I back up by placing the repository in my dropbox folder but as I have dropbox on my laptop and as I have the source folder encrypted it means I also have to encrypt the repository. Getting silly.
      Last edited by minestrone; 29 March 2011, 16:40.

Comment

I have a Carbonite online backup account, and as each commit is a new file in SVN, it works quite well watching the SVN repository and just uploading each change. I was thinking about using some kind of sync tool to duplicate it to a NAS as well, but never got round to that, and I have a regular incremental backup of the drive anyway.

A hosted service sounds like a lot more hassle to me, not less.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It depends on your usage I suppose. Unless you have a full server then hosted is very useful when you are not in your office. If you have a proper server, then you are running your own hosted service anyway, just without the multi-$million infrastructure.

Comment

This is the one all the cool kids are using:

Subversion Hosting & More - JIRA Studio

Gives you quite a bit more than just a SVN repository too.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Codesion are a bit wolly on the type of offsite back up you can do.

On this page it says no for the team service.

On this page it says yes for the team service.

Comment

Fire off an email, I've generally found them pretty responsive and though their support staff appear to predominantly be offshored, I never found myself trying to communicate with a 'bob'. We use the team service so I can look online if you like.

Atlassian's product is worth a look, though it's a pretty big hammer for the thumb-tack you're trying to nail.... you'd be paying $1000+ per year

edit: I am not sure either after logging into codesion. I've fired off a support request and will let you know.
                Last edited by d000hg; 30 March 2011, 10:53.

Comment

I'll fire them off an email at luch time.

I think they mailed me recently as I own a java.net project, when java.net ditched collabnet a few months ago I think the CEO of that place mailed everyone and offered them free project space with teamforge. I was to busy to do anything but looking at the pricing structure I think it would have been one of the better packages they were offering for nowt

EDIT: why do websites make contact forms 20 * 10 text boxes
                  Last edited by minestrone; 30 March 2011, 11:07.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg
                    Dear Codesion,

I am unclear if the package we are on allows us to take a backup of our SVN repository? I can see an option to _import_ an external repo but not to export for backup.
                    Originally posted by Codesion
                    d000hg,

For downloading backups you have to subscribe to "Advanced Backups" plan from optional extras by going to Billing -> Current Plan -> Change Extras

We also provide free backups if customer cancels the account.
                    I found this page listing additional extras: Codesion Subversion Hosting | Optional Extras

It looks like you'd end up paying $15/month (ish) in total with this, bizarrely you pay more fro the backup than a 2-user repo.
                    So it depends if you need the backups as you don't trust them to preserve it, or you simply want to make sure you can get them if you need... looks like you could pay the extra $10 for a month you want to do a backup or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X