• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Internet Explorer 9 (not RC, the proper public release)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's possible the site might have IE-specific hacks which are no longer valid? Does IE9 offer compatibility modes?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I think it's possible the site might have IE-specific hacks which are no longer valid? Does IE9 offer compatibility modes?
      I hear what you are saying. Ironically, Firefox 4 Beta has the same problem. So it could have hacks / code that are not compatible with the current standards used by IE 9 and FF 4. I was just wondering if anyone else was having similar problems with websites that were using IE 9 or FF4 (Beta).
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Lots of them. It has "quirks mode" in which it supports the box model bug from IE < 6, along with various weird things to make it compatible with Netscape Navigator 3. Then there's IE7 mode, for compatibility with both IE6 and 7 (despite the fact that they aren't compatible with each other in the first place). As they still hadn't got things right by then they also have IE8 mode. Finally, there's IE9 mode, which is supposedly a correct implementation of the relevant W3C standards. Of course, there's also IE9 compatibility mode, which is like IE7 except in certain important respects.

To add to the fun, most of those exist as both a "Browser Mode" and a "Document Mode" which affects things like the User Agent string and the way it responds to conditional comments.

Comment

Anyone know if IE9 can be installed alongside IE8?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Anyone know if IE9 can be installed alongside IE8?
            No, it can't. Microsoft provide Virtual PC images with various versions of IE for testing purposes. (Virtual PC itself is free.)

Comment

Is anyone having problems with Flash and viewing PDF's on IE 9?
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Who needs IE when you can have Firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  Is anyone having problems with Flash and viewing PDF's on IE 9?
                  No. Only problem I've seen with IE9 (apart from some cut off g's), is printing from Google Maps opened the new window in a tab, and then printed at the wrong size.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Who needs IE when you can have Firefox?
                    Anybody who wants 10x the performance?

Viewing this page (i.e. the reply page) on IE9 is using 2% CPU. The same on Firefox 4 uses 50% (i.e. one core flat out), and the animated GIF smilies are struggling to animate properly.

Cynicism aside, it's hard to believe how Firefox have screwed that up, but clearly they've screwed something up.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Viewing this page (i.e. the reply page) on IE9 is using 2% CPU. The same on Firefox 4 uses 50% (i.e. one core flat out), and the animated GIF smilies are struggling to animate properly.
                      I am on FF4 RC2 right now on the reply page and it is using 2% of my CPU (quad core), Win XP 64 bit. All animations are fine - you got some problem with your install or just your FF4 used up too much memories (recent betas have been terrible in this respect - require regular restarts, RCs seem better).

Comment

Working...
                      X