• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Hi All,

Just bought me a nice new laptop purely for work (Win XP Pro 32-bit) and am filling it with all the tools I need (preferrably free where I can get them), I thought I'd try and get together a good list of definitive apps and tools for general dev so please add suggestions or improvements. I work in BI so don't tend to need the heavy heavy dev tools.

Office 2003
    SQL Server 2008 express
    Oracle 11g enterprise edition
    Toad for Oracle
    Filezilla (client and server)
    LDAP Browser
    Visual Studio Express
    Apache Tomcat
    vmware workstation
    7zip
    cutepdf
    google chrome
    firefox
    Notepad ++
    WinMerge
    Replacem
    Agent Ransack
    Paint.net
    Hypersnap
    Process Explorer
    TcpView
    FileMon
    duplicate cleaner
    threatfire
    spybot
    cccleaner
    anti-malware

I'm sure there are lots of things I may have missed but may find useful, so if you were in my position which apps would you be putting on a new laptop as 'must haves'?
    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

gvim
    cygwin
    WinSCP
    Putty

Plus eclipse or springsource tool suite as I am (mostly) doing Java these days.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

SQL Server 2008 express
      Oracle 11g enterprise edition
      That's going to slow things down, unless you have at least one of them turned off by default.
      I'd have
      some kind of source code control repository
      otherwise I think you've got everything covered.

Comment

WinSCP
        Putty
        have you used filezilla? if so why do feel WinSCP is superior (or is because filezilla only does FTP?)

out of interest what do you use telnet for? i've only ever used it to debug network probs - just interested is all

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        That's going to slow things down, unless you have at least one of them turned off by default.
        I'd have
        some kind of source code control repository
        otherwise I think you've got everything covered.
        yeah will only have one at a time, SQL Server is easy enough to stand up but definitely want oracle installed and ready to go so I can switch it on and just use it

what do you use git or mercurial/subversion or something else?
        sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

Comment

Microsoft TFS for my source code control, but before that I was using perforce.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
            have you used filezilla? if so why do feel WinSCP is superior (or is because filezilla only does FTP?)

out of interest what do you use telnet for? i've only ever used it to debug network probs - just interested is all
            In some environments e.g. my current one, ftp is simply banned as it's considered insecure. SCP works over SSH, which means you don't have to run ftpd on the server.

PuTTY is used for connecting to unix machines via SSH.

If given truly free reign e.g. using my own hardware, I sometimes use a linux VM on my laptop which has all these sorts of tools available on the command line. Of course their utility depends somewhat on whether the client environment is Unix / Linux or Windows.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

SQL Developer is free and does most of what Toad does.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                In some environments e.g. my current one, ftp is simply banned as it's considered insecure. SCP works over SSH, which means you don't have to run ftpd on the server.

PuTTY is used for connecting to unix machines via SSH.
                right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                  SQL Developer is free and does most of what Toad does.
                  yeah I've recently got this on my clients machine but haven't used it much yet, toad is OK it is not as good as I thought it might be, I prefer the Microsoft SQL IDE, well 2005 upwards. I may try and get on with just this and drop toad

Comment

Just bought me a nice new laptop purely for work
                    Nice, what spec?

Win XP Pro 32-bit
                    Office 2003
                    SQL Server 2008 express
                    If you're serious about the Microsoft BI stack then you really need:
                    Windows 7
                    Office 2010
                    SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition

The way you're going you seem to want to become obsolete.

VMWare is very handy for quickly creating dev environments
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X