• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    If you have cygwin installed then putty, wincsp and gvim are redundant, as you will use the built-in ssh, scp and vim(vi).
    Actually they aren't, and I don't. I find the standalone gvim much better integrated with windows as I can just right click and "edit with vim", and putty also does serial ports which is handy on those rare occasions you need it.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    gvim
    cygwin
    WinSCP
    Putty

Plus eclipse or springsource tool suite as I am (mostly) doing Java these days.
    If you have cygwin installed then putty, wincsp and gvim are redundant, as you will use the built-in ssh, scp and vim(vi). I personally prefer MinGW to Cygwin, you can build cross platform binaries for Win-Unix on it:
    MinGW cross compiler for Linux build environment | MinGW

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look
    The Putty suite also contains an sftp client. With a little work, you can set up shared keys and a few windows shortcuts to give yourself automatic access.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    One tool I just love is SQL Effects Clarity (may now be called SQL Accord) which is totally free in the CE edition:

SQL Effects Software

Allows for easy and quick database comparison (structure, functions, stored procs, views etc) which I find invaluable when working with databases from different release versions or test environments, or for checking database update scripts are working as expected.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    I use Pietty:

PieTTY (pputty): piaip's reimplementation of PuTTY

Just like putty but allows you to make the windows transparent which I find very useful so that I can see what's going on in the background as I fiddle about in a terminal. Downloading Zog to give it a go now
    ZOC does everything, sometimes a little hidden in the menu's but it's there. Stores password if you want, does keepalives, even let;s you type one command in many windows, ideal for cluster-type deployments.

Does transparency, doesn't do proper full-screen, only thing I've found, not an issue for me but the puttyheads at work disrespect ZOC cos of it...

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I use Pietty:

PieTTY (pputty): piaip's reimplementation of PuTTY

Just like putty but allows you to make the windows transparent which I find very useful so that I can see what's going on in the background as I fiddle about in a terminal. Downloading Zog to give it a go now

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - Complete package - 1 user - DVD - Win - English - 32/64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's £50 on amazon and includes all the SSRS/AS/IS development tools, infact seeing as how the developer edition is actually a re-badged enterprise edition it includes everything!!
    (Which can be bad when you forget the client is using standard and you developed a solution which needs enterprise features)
    hehe, how bizarre I had just googled that and was gonna post 'trust amazon!'

this is a consideration, I do think though that my kind of dev probably isn't enterprisey (hate that word!) enough to be utilising the enterprise parts - but definitely worth baring in mind!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    You are right about SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition though, think its only $50 so well worth it, would like to get the SSIS/SSAS stuff for SQL/Visual studio too but again its about getting the dev versions for cheap.
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - Complete package - 1 user - DVD - Win - English - 32/64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's £50 on amazon and includes all the SSRS/AS/IS development tools, infact seeing as how the developer edition is actually a re-badged enterprise edition it includes everything!!
    (Which can be bad when you forget the client is using standard and you developed a solution which needs enterprise features)

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Doesn't Technet have it?
    potentially somewhere, not having much luck with the search on there - you can find it in the states but they wont let you download to the UK

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    oh gutted Developer Edition is no longer available in the MS online store, this could be a mission!
    Doesn't Technet have it?

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Nice, what spec?

SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition
    oh gutted Developer Edition is no longer available in the MS online store, this could be a mission!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Nice, what spec?
    Optimus: 17.3" HD+ LED Backlit Widescreen (1600x900) Super Clear Matte
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Dual Core Mobile Processor i7-640M (2.80GHz) 4MB Cache
    Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

If you're serious about the Microsoft BI stack then you really need:
    Windows 7
    Office 2010

The way you're going you seem to want to become obsolete.

VMWare is very handy for quickly creating dev environments
    Yeah I intend to get a 64-bit desktop machine to use as a server with server 2008 on it, for windows 7/office 2010 ill have them on VM (just trying away to get cheap developer versions) as XP is the most stable environment for what I need to do, this will change eventually and may have to go completely over to win 7 (as I don't think Ill be able to make a dual boot machine as my hard drive is sata) - but its not primarily microsoft BI tools I need more the platform and most client machines I've come across so far are still XP (plus I much prefer it )

You are right about SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition though, think its only $50 so well worth it, would like to get the SSIS/SSAS stuff for SQL/Visual studio too but again its about getting the dev versions for cheap.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look
    Putty is a pile of poop compared to ZOC, it's not free but the only issue with not paying for it is it says 'evaluation version' on the title bar, never times out or nags.

ZOC - SSH Client (Secure Shell), SSH2 Client, Telnet Client for Windows and Mac OS X

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Just bought me a nice new laptop purely for work
    Nice, what spec?

Win XP Pro 32-bit
    Office 2003
    SQL Server 2008 express
    If you're serious about the Microsoft BI stack then you really need:
    Windows 7
    Office 2010

The way you're going you seem to want to become obsolete.

VMWare is very handy for quickly creating dev environments

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    SQL Developer is free and does most of what Toad does.
    yeah I've recently got this on my clients machine but haven't used it much yet, toad is OK it is not as good as I thought it might be, I prefer the Microsoft SQL IDE, well 2005 upwards. I may try and get on with just this and drop toad

Leave a comment:

Working...
X