• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Outlook Express Error message

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Outlook Express Error message

Anyone come across the following MS Outlook error message: -

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx. Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

Tried google and not got much back.....

Is your email server hosted by your current ISP ?

Comment

From memory it's cause your mail client is trying to use SSL and the server recieving it it is not configured for it.

Try turning off the secure connection options in Outlook. Should be under Tools->Accounts->properties->advanced.

Not sure if thats still a valid solution if your using the latest version of Outlook.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Either

1. (as Toad mentioned) you are trying to relay (send) the message from a foreign network/ISP [a network/ISP that is different from the one the SMTP server is located on]

or

2. Your ISP has recently introduced authentication for outbound mail. Try altering your settings to allow SMTP authenitcation (probably same credentials as your POP3/IMAP4 server) or enable POP before SMTP authentication.

Error 5** is a permanent error and requires a resend from Outlook.
        Try with and without SSL/TLS.
        Last edited by NoddY; 2 March 2006, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
          Either

1. (as Toad mentioned) you are trying to relay (send) the message from a foreign network/ISP [a network/ISP that is different from the one the SMTP server is located on]

or

2. Your ISP has recently introduced authentication for outbound mail. Try altering your settings to allow SMTP authenitcation (probably same credentials as your POP3/IMAP4 server) or enable POP before SMTP authentication.

Error 5** is a permanent error and requires a resend from Outlook.
          Try with and without SSL/TLS.
          And if you haven't, try receiving just before you send.

Comment

My email is hosted by a different ISP to the one I use for internet access. However I have been successfully receiving emails until monday. I currently dont have SSL selected so I will try selecting it and see what happens.

Thanks (for now) - I may be back for more info if it doesnt work!

Comment

Another reason for this erro is if you cloak your address. Some receiving servers will reject it.

I use me@myco as the addrees sending through my ISP SMTP server. A few get bounced with the error you describe. me@myisp will work though.

Of course if you can't send any mail then this ain't the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X