• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to deflect number withheld calls on a mobile?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deflect number withheld calls on a mobile?

I get a constant stream of calls from idiots calling me trying to fish for information or supply services that are of no interest to me, often withholding their phone number so I can't get my own back. I was wondering with all the technology we are packing in our smart phones whether it is possible to detect withheld numbers and direct them to a recorded message on my voicemail telling them I do not accept phone calls from anyone withholding their number?

for the blackberry there is Call Control Blacklist Lite - free.

I've not used it but seems to get good reviews.

Comment

Cheers 5 times. sods law - I have an iphone, I'll see if I can find an app

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        for the blackberry there is Call Control Blacklist Lite - free.

I've not used it but seems to get good reviews.
        Windows Mobile 6.5 has something similar allowing you to whitelist/blacklist numbers
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Lesson No.1 : never use your own phone for punting!

Lesson No.2 : use iBlacklist, but only on a Jailbroken iPhone. Not sure if it works with Blocked numbers, but I'm sure you can find out easily enough.

Comment

A couple of times a month, I get a call from a withheld number which turns out to be one of those automated dialling computers which waits for the sound of your voice before kicking in.

For witheld numbers, I've now taken to answering the phone, being silent and waiting for the computer to hang up.

Not sure if this works but my accountant now probably thinks I'm a nutter after she called me from a withheld number on Friday.

Comment

I would also register with the telephone preference service

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                For witheld numbers, I've now taken to answering the phone, being silent and waiting for the computer to hang up.

Not sure if this works but my accountant now probably thinks I'm a nutter after she called me from a withheld number on Friday.

I do that for landlines, I find if it's a real person they soon speak up, on the rare occasion I forget to unplug it after using. I only really use the landline for broadband so leaving the phone unplugged is a great way of deflecting unwanted calls! Anyone I give a damn about has my mobile number and knows to use that instead.

For mobiles I routinely decline calls from withheld numbers. If it's important they'll leave a message.

As for pimps etc pestering me long after a gig has ended, I find changing my number on an annual-ish basis works. Also has the benefit of clearing out old numbers (I only transfer numbers across to the new sim if I really need them, keeping the rest in a text file on my PC), which is particularly handy when beered-up and tempted to text exes!
                Last edited by PAH; 22 February 2011, 12:31.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
                  I get a constant stream of calls from idiots calling me trying to fish for information or supply services that are of no interest to me, often withholding their phone number so I can't get my own back. I was wondering with all the technology we are packing in our smart phones whether it is possible to detect withheld numbers and direct them to a recorded message on my voicemail telling them I do not accept phone calls from anyone withholding their number?
                  Depends on who your provider is. On T-Mobile, I think you can block caller witheld numbers via the web-portal or by calling 150 from the mobile. Don't know how to do it for other providers.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Make sure that there are not genuine calls that you may miss if you blacklist all with-held numbers.
                    For example my daughters school uses a with held number, which means I have to answer every call, on the highly unlikely off chance it may be my daughters school calling to say she's ill or something!!
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X