• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office 2003 on Windows 7 - Office 2010 already installed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office 2003 on Windows 7 - Office 2010 already installed

I've currently got a machine which dual boots between XP and Windows 7. each OS is on a separate drive. I did that because XP started locking up a while back and I suspected it is the hard drive. Although I ran the chkdsk /f /r and the WD diagnostics - no errors are ever reported.

Well, today I have had no less than 5 BSOD on the XP side. Each reporting the video driver as the culprit. I am running the latest drivers.

I don't really need XP now, all the data has been copied off and I've reinstalled everything into Win 7. Win 7 has no issues at all presently. I only use XP because I have clients that use Office 200 and Office 2003.

I currently have Office 2010 installed on Win 7. I have a licence of Office 2003 and wondered if I can install it on Win 7. I've heard that it can be done but a specific order must be followed.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I've currently got a machine which dual boots between XP and Windows 7. each OS is on a separate drive. I did that because XP started locking up a while back and I suspected it is the hard drive. Although I ran the chkdsk /f /r and the WD diagnostics - no errors are ever reported.

Well, today I have had no less than 5 BSOD on the XP side. Each reporting the video driver as the culprit. I am running the latest drivers.

I don't really need XP now, all the data has been copied off and I've reinstalled everything into Win 7. Win 7 has no issues at all presently. I only use XP because I have clients that use Office 200 and Office 2003.

I currently have Office 2010 installed on Win 7. I have a licence of Office 2003 and wondered if I can install it on Win 7. I've heard that it can be done but a specific order must be followed.
    Why not up the memory in your system and create an XP VM object and put Office 2003 on there? I personally wouldn't use Office 2000 or 2003 on Windows 7 as they are no longer supported by Microsoft.

Tell your clients to use Office 2007 or above, install the compatability pack, or start saving files in compatability mode.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I found Office 200 too slow so I reverted back to Office 22BC, handles Aramaic SOOO much better though I agree Office 200's Latin support is a joy...

Comment

I have Office 2003 on Windows 7. Seems to work.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I did have Office 2003 on win 7 but replaced it with 2007. It's a while ago so can't remember the details but I seem to recall running into some wierd problems with Excel 2003, especially links that kept getting corrupted.

PS Thinking about it, excel sheets sometimes would not open as well.

There's Virtual PC, - XP on Win 7, never tried it

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
          Last edited by xoggoth; 15 February 2011, 22:46.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Cheers, yes never did think about VM'ing XP. I have Action Pack Dev edition I will have a look see if there's a VM in there I can use.

Yes I was a bit freaked out that someone still uses Office 2000 and Office 2003, but they are paying the bills so who's to complain?
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I was a bit freaked out that someone still uses Office 2000 and Office 2003
              Word 97 still works for me.

Although I do need OpenOffice.org to read .docx files.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X